#42 The Battle Continues back.jpg

#42 The Battle Continues front.jpg

#43 Costly Mistake back.jpg

#43 Costly Mistake front.jpg

#44 Shot to Death back.jpg

#44 Shot to Death front.jpg

#45 The Riverboat Explodes back.jpg

#45 The Riverboat Explodes front.jpg

They were gory and possibly not very historically accurate, but they helped kindle the fires of passion for history in at least one child that have yet to go out.

Details, please. What such effort was underway? Who was involved? Thanks!

Various peace efforts to avoid war were inspired in the aftermath of Brown's raid and the excitement it caused, look these up:

- For some time Senators Douglas and Crittenden had been fashioning a compromise based on Popular Soverignity for the purpose of rolling back secession.

- The Copperheads, with their remaining faction called the Peace Democrats (the War Democrats had split off) were the most prominent anti-war group working in the North to avoid a war, though in opposition to Lincoln.

- In Dec. 1860 Samuel L. Tilden and William B. Astor met and passed Democratic party resolutions urging added protection for slavery to mollify secessionists and appointed a committee headed by former President Millard Fillmore to go to the South with assurances of support for the Southern cause.

- Also in Dec. John A. Dix formed a "Union Committee of Fifteen" to rally support for compromise with the South.

- Also in Dec. there was an informal meeting of about thirty men; Republicans, Union men, and Democrats, including Astor, Aspinwall, Moses H. Grinnell, Hamilton Fish, and R. M. Blatchford. They were unanimous for reconciliation, and that the first steps had to be taken by the North.

- Jan. 1861 Virginia authorized its own effort to preserve the Union; and 131 delegates from 21 states came to Washington for it.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity what is the asking price for a complete set of these cards? Can cards be purchased individually to complete a collection along with the few cards you may already have?
I wondered that myself.
There were 4 complete sets sold on eBay in the month of May. Costs ranged from $261-$450. Price variation probably dependent on condition.
Interestingly...an original 1 cent wrapper (that the cards were sold in) was also sold in May. That went for $849.88.

Just out of curiosity what is the asking price for a complete set of these cards? Can cards be purchased individually to complete a collection along with the few cards you may already have?
I wondered that myself.
There were 4 complete sets sold on eBay in the month of May. Costs ranged from $261-$450. Price variation probably dependent on condition.
Interestingly...an original 1 cent wrapper (that the cards were sold in) was also sold in May. That went for $849.88.
The same question came up back in 2013 when I posted my thread:
I have really enjoyed your Civil War News series. What is the value of these cards today ?

This was the answer it drew back then:
I had the entire set as a young boy....it's what got me interested in the CW in the first place. I either lost it or it was stolen around the time we moved in 1963. About 5 years ago I bought the cards again, on EBay. A complete set of representative cards (not necessarily high quality specimens) runs about $600 IIRC. There was also a set of smaller cards issued for sale in the UK, same pictures and "news", but slightly less expensive to acquire now...

Personally I don't know because all mine were purchased by me - save less than a half-dozen by a classmate that I acquired several years later to complete my own set - during the Centennial and for store prices; unfortunately I didn't think to keep any of the wrappers!

Last edited:
Back