James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Dixie Dictionary.jpg
Dixie Dictionary 001.jpg

Front and back covers of J. Beauregard Horsepasture's Guidebook and Dixie Dictionary

What with the discovery of NEW writings by his contemporary J. D. Salinger in the news today, I thought it fitten' to showcase the work of another influential ( on ME, at least ) mid-Twentieth Century author, the redoubtable Col. J. Beauregard Horsepasture, whose slim tome was once found in Stuckey's, Horne's and all other fine souvenir shops across the late Confederate States during and for long after the Civil War Centennial. Since this DOES have a copywright, I hope I'm not violating any laws by posting it here in its entirety; however if there's a problem the moderator may remove it; considering the Col. has by now likely gone to his "just reward", I wouldn't want his executors to be put out.

Dixie Dictionary 002.jpg

Perhaps oddly enough ( or maybe just a coincidence ), this publication appears to have NO CONNECTION WHATSOEVER with that "Other" Confederate Air Force which this may in fact predate. Or as the Colonel himself likely would say, It's a JOKE - I say, it's a JOKE, Son.

Dixie Dictionary 003.jpg

Due to the length and breadth of the Colonel's extensive knowledge of the subject, I find I have to break this up into more than one part due to constraints of space. Please have patience, readers!

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Dixie Dictionary 004.jpg

If you look REAL CLOSE you're likely to find the Genesis of one of my favorite expressions - Genu-wine!
Then as now manufactured goods seem to have come from foriegn countries - like New York and Brooklyn.

Dixie Dictionary 005.jpg

Of course the real "meat" is the Dictionary - hopefully it's not too dated by now after a half-century!

Dixie Dictionary 006.jpg

Note that the Colonel ( or more likely his publisher! ) anticipated modern censorship by thoughtfully blanking himself out.

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Dixie Dictionary 007.jpg

History and geography were probably the Colonel's strong point - especially his description of Gettysbug.

Dixie Dictionary 008.jpg

Dixie Dictionary 009.jpg

I hope donna isn't too disappointed I didn't post this part in the Foods forum!

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Dixie Dictionary 010.jpg

Dixie Dictionary 011.jpg
Dixie Dictionary 012.jpg

Sadly, this brings us to the end of Col. J. Beauregard Horsepasture's extensive wit and wisdom. Although a product of the more innocent days of the Civil War Centennial, I remember seeing copies for some time afterward. ( Again, kind of like Catcher in the Rye - only more relevant to ME! )

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Not too innocent, there's a few innuendos in there I think!
There's plenty of innuendoes! It's more political/social innocence I had in mind: The bit about MISS.-Miss-sip-ee: Jefferson Davis' final abode. If you were bawn nawth of the Dixon line, STAY ON THE MAIN ROADS AT NITE. has a humor in 1961 that would be sorely lacking after the Freedom Rides of only a few years later! In contrast to today, the Centennial tried to be an extension of the "reunification" theme of the post-Reconstruction period; notice there's I think NO mention here about civil rights and the question Race on the application only serves to set up another corny joke.

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
I'll look through more of my "old" Centennial-era souvenirs and mementoes and see if I can't find some more "gems" like this!

I expected to be offended, but I laughed out loud a few times and snickered a lot. But there were a couple things that puzzled me -- some of that Southern vocabulary -- uh, isn't that the right way to pronounce that word? :unsure:

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
The vast majority of this board is here to discuss CW topics and to enjoy reading the discussions. A few are here to be offended, and a few are here to offend.

We have the most civil Civil War board on the planet. We are not close to perfection.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)