Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
1594777853780.png

1594777867537.png

I wonder where the original of this image is today? This one is snipped from the newspaper, so there has to be an original somewhere? Perhaps it is in the hands of a collector and possibly unidentified? Hopefully, the collector who has a tintype of two South Carolina soldiers who look like they could be brothers will see this post and be able to put the names back together with the image.

Capt. Charner Greer (left) Company A, 18th South Carolina pictured with Capt. T. Jefferson Greer (right) Company B, 18th South Carolina. Charner Sanders Greer is recorded as the only member of Company A who came out of the Crater alive. Thomas Jefferson "T. Jeff" Greer lost his leg in the fight at Burgess's Mill.
Source: The Union Times. (Union, SC), May 08, 1914, page 11.

Thanks Laura! Like you, I hope the original image will surface.

Coincidentally, I just came upon Charner for the first time, today, looking into his wounding at Sharpsburg in September 1862. He was then probably 2nd Lieutenant of the Company.

In the same newspaper as his picture above is a narrative he wrote about the Crater at Petersburg. Here's part:

I had gone into my "bomb proof" to get my night's rest. Lieut. Hill was in the "bomb proof" with me. We were sound asleep when the shock came. When we woke up, we were 8 feet under ground. Lieut. Hill was fastened by a piece of timber and unable to help me any. We were protected somewhat by the timbers of the "bomb proof."

I realized at once that what was done would have to be done quickly and I commenced to dig with my bayonet and dug all around first, and as the dirt fell I pushed it underneath myself and was in that way raised up as I dug. Then I used my sword and dug upwards for dear life.

Nobody but God could ever know the sweetness of the first breath of air that came to me with the little opening that I made in that mass of earth. It was about 1 o'clock p. m. on a hot summer day and I had been buried at 4:30 in the morning ...

Last edited:
Wow?!?

That's a great image considering it's a newspaper. Terrific idea posting it here- amazing how frequently we get relatives showing up, isn't it? Have you tried Ancestry, btw? or Family Search? Once in awhile I'll get a hit on one of those.
Yes, relatives show up all the time wanting to learn about their families histories. No, I didn't try the sites.

Yes, relatives show up all the time wanting to learn about their families histories. No, I didn't try the sites.

Pretty busy at the moment- I have this list next to the computer that keeps getting longer of ' things to look up '. Will try to get to it- it's funny what you'll find sometimes. Of course sometimes what you'll find is funny, as in funny- once found someone posted an image of a grgrgrandmother of mine. It really wasn't, it was someone born around around a century later but I didn't have the heart to tell the person.

Pretty busy at the moment- I have this list next to the computer that keeps getting longer of ' things to look up '. Will try to get to it- it's funny what you'll find sometimes. Of course sometimes what you'll find is funny, as in funny- once found someone posted an image of a grgrgrandmother of mine. It really wasn't, it was someone born around around a century later but I didn't have the heart to tell the person.
The person might argue with you if you told them!

I get easily sidetracked with the computer. I sent 900 Medal of Honor recipients photos to the National Infantry Museum in 30 days. But I haven't sent any more in the past two weeks. Did I mention I get sidetracked?

The person might argue with you if you told them!

I get easily sidetracked with the computer. I sent 900 Medal of Honor recipients photos to the National Infantry Museum in 30 days. But I haven't sent any more in the past two weeks. Did I mention I get sidetracked?

Ha! BORN sidetracked, Mike! The thing is, don't you bump into all the best stuff on all the side trips? I ' think ' we'd get diagnosed with that whole ADD thing today. Unconvinced. It's sheer curiosity, when I see kids and that ADD thing I think ' Nooooo, turn 'em lose, don't diagnose them! '.

900 in 30 days? GOOD glory. Has to be some kind of medal just for that,And seriously, thank you. Our MoH- as sacred as a topic as we have as Americans. Read those stories with all this heck breaking lose around our ears, defy anyone not to feel better.

Ha! BORN sidetracked, Mike! The thing is, don't you bump into all the best stuff on all the side trips? I ' think ' we'd get diagnosed with that whole ADD thing today. Unconvinced. It's sheer curiosity, when I see kids and that ADD thing I think ' Nooooo, turn 'em lose, don't diagnose them! '.

900 in 30 days? GOOD glory. Has to be some kind of medal just for that,And seriously, thank you. Our MoH- as sacred as a topic as we have as Americans. Read those stories with all this heck breaking lose around our ears, defy anyone not to feel better.
'Tis true. I do find the best stuff when sidetracked.

900 is only 30 a day for 30 days. Just a lot of mouse clicks. I was reading about Charles A. Hunter of the 34th Mass. Inf. today. His modest account:
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 12.00.54 PM.jpg

The official citation is: In the assault on Fort Gregg, bore the regimental flag bravely and was among the foremost to enter the work.

Back