1866- Oldest cookbook written by an African American woman-"one of the first families set free by Mr. Noddie of Virginia”

Belle Montgomery

2nd Lieutenant
1604938906305.png
(1866) Malinda Russell, Domestic Cook Book

This cookbook stands out as the oldest cookbook written by an African American woman. Culinary historian Jan Langone rediscovered it in 2000.

Although it had been published in Paw Paw, Michigan, its author came from Tennessee, where her short introduction to the self-published book says she was part of “one of the first families set free by Mr. Noddie of Virginia,” she wrote.

Here is the link-has index at end. The actual book starts on page 18:

Last edited:
View attachment 381047
(1866) Malinda Russell, Domestic Cook Book

This cookbook stands out as the oldest cookbook written by an African American woman. Culinary historian Jan Langone rediscovered it in 2000.

Although it had been published in Paw Paw, Michigan, its author came from Tennessee, where her short introduction to the self-published book says she was part of “one of the first families set free by Mr. Noddie of Virginia,” she wrote.

Here is the link. The actual book starts on page 18:

I don’t know if I’m more excited over seeing this here or if I’m more tickled that it was discovered so very recently. It goes to show that important examples of all sorts of things can still be discovered.

I don’t know if I’m more excited over seeing this here or if I’m more tickled that it was discovered so very recently. It goes to show that important examples of all sorts of things can still be discovered.
I see this book has been discussed on here before but now it's available to read online for free!

I see this book has been discussed on here before but now it's available to read online for free!
Have you read Michael Twitty’s book. He’s a colonial chef and is very well known in those locations as he brings to life the enslaved chef.
His book deals with his journey to figure out his background to help him pinpoint the style and location of food which would influence his style of cooking.

Have you read Michael Twitty’s book. He’s a colonial chef and is very well known in those locations as he brings to life the enslaved chef.
His book deals with his journey to figure out his background to help him pinpoint the style and location of food which would influence his style of cooking.

Back