1864 Model 5 Burnside With Unusual Stock Engraving

762x51

Private
I recently got a 1864 Model 5 Burnside with an unusual engraving in the stock.

Anyone have any idea as to what it means?

1.jpg

2.jpg

2A.jpg

It looks like it read C : I O E. Is it raised letters or carved into the stock? Its hard to tell from the photo.

It looks some one tried to camoflauge it with spray paint too???

I thought that too at first . On closer inspection it looks like the pic was taken on the floor of an outdoor deck and the shadows are the effect of the light coming from between the slats that hold the railing up. Sure did make the stock look like it had some nice figuring though !

I thought that too at first . On closer inspection it looks like the pic was taken on the floor of an outdoor deck and the shadows are the effect of the light coming from between the slats that hold the railing up. Sure did make the stock look like it had some nice figuring though !
Yep and looks like whomever built the deck used screws instead of nails, a good thing.

Maybe Company C: 10th Engineers (with an accidental chip/gouge seeming to link the 1 and the 0)

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Yes, I did take the photos on the back porch late in the afternoon thus the shadow effect. Guess I need to retake them - :>)

Where can I use the serial number to find which unit it was issued to? It's a model 5, serial number 11496.

Thanks for your help,
Orin

Hi Guys,

Yes, I did take the photos on the back porch late in the afternoon thus the shadow effect. Guess I need to retake them - :>)

Where can I use the serial number to find which unit it was issued to? It's a model 5, serial number 11496.

Thanks for your help,
Orin
Its not listed in the SRS so where it went is lost to time.

Back