1864 article about Lincoln re-election--where should it go?

ratwod

Private
I'm trying to post an interesting news article for every day...something like a "This day in the Civil War". So, this one concerns the 1864 election. None of the various forums seems to be correct. Any thoughts?

From Courier Journal (Louisville, KY), October 26, 1864...

The abolition papers assume that some of the Southern rebels desire the election of McClellan. Perhaps they do, yet a still greater portion, and by far the worst, anxious for the re-election of Lincoln. But what if all such Southern men as contemplate and desire peace were for McClellan? Isn't it natural and proper that those people of the South, who would be glad to see the Union restored, or who think that it may be restored whether they desire such, a result or not, should prefer coming back unshorn of their rights to being subjected to the withering and blasting operation of the horrid measures which the Lincoln Administration announces as its established policy? Are General McClellan and his friends to be held responsible because the better class of rebels are not exactly madmen or fools?

The truth of this matter is stated very justly as well as very authoritatively in a letter which the Hon. Robert C. Winthrop read at the close of his splendid speech the other day at New London in Connecticut, he said:

I fear I detain you too long, but I must not take my leave without giving a little piece of testimony of the highest importance, and which I had from a source the most authentic. Among the refugees from Atlanta there came within our lines a person of estimable character and rare knowledge, and the best opportunities of understanding sentiment there. And what he said came to me in a letter from a friend in the Border States. He said: "If Mr. Lincoln is re-elected, the people of the South will fight for twenty years, for they feel they can do nothing better; and, if Gen. McClellan is elected, an overwhelming Union party will be formed in the South and peace will be the almost immediate result. I speak the sentiment of the people, not the officials. The leaders of the rebellion are anxious for the election of Lincoln, as giving the greatest hope for the success of the rebel cause, but they respect McClellan, and being heartily tired of the war, they will be willing to trust him." [Applause]

The reporter immediately adds in conclusion: "Mr. Winthrop expressed his belief that if Gen. McClellan were elected one year would witness the return of peace, and closed with an eloquent peroration upon the glory of the country upon the return of peace, with prosperity and Union."

We fully concur in the deduction of the orator as well as in the statement of the refugee. Elect McClellan, and within one year peace will be restored upon the basis of the Union. Reelect Lincoln, and peace will never be restored upon any basis, or, if perchance it should ever be restored temporarily, it would be restored on the basis of despotism, speedily dissolving into anarchy.

Back