Handguns 1863 Starr. 44 SA Army

Paul Doc

Cadet
My name is Paul Doc and I am a new member and this is my first post. I recently acquired this revolver and I am looking for advice from people who are way more knowledgeable than I. The former owner had polished this gun in the 1940s (I know) it has all matching #s including grip. The serial # is 29929. Is this something you would get refinished because of the polishing? Everything works very well on it but I don't want to fire it unless it is looked at by an professional. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks to all who reply. Doc.

Screenshot_20201008-084717_Gallery.jpg

Welcome, enjoy. What you have is Starr Single Action .44 caliber, Model 1863 or new model. The original was a model 1858 which was Double Action. Based on serial numer estimate date of manufacture as March or April 1864. I personally would only give it a scant protective coat of Break Free or your choice of other. I would not refinish.

Last edited:
Nice looking old Starr. As stated in the previous post, I would be against refinishing it also. Wipe it down with Break Free periodically or get a silicone cloth to use on it after handing it to remove any oil from fingerprints and prevent any rust from appearing. Enjoy. It's a great piece of history.

Thanks for that information. I think that's what I'm going to do. Should I see a gunsmith to see about firing or just enjoy it as is? All parts work very nicely but the inside of barrel could use a good cleaning.

Thanks for that information. I think that's what I'm going to do. Should I see a gunsmith to see about firing or just enjoy it as is? All parts work very nicely but the inside of barrel could use a good cleaning.
Welcome to the forums from the host of the Stonewall Jackson Forum and another collector! Nothing at all wrong with using the proper size bore brush, etc. to clean the barrel, but I don't think I'd try to fire it. Here's a link to the earlier version DA Starr I own:

If you do intend to fire it, have it checked out first. Even then remember it is 156 years old. Parts may still be found, but it no longer remains original. That has to be your call. I know that there are members who definitely fire everything they own, but to each his own.

Thank you boys for sharing all your knowledge. Funny thing, I haven't been a cadet since I graduated Norwich University quite some time ago. 😂

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. Nice Starr. I would leave it as is.

Thanks John42768

That is the model holster that I was enquiring about.

tarr-DA-revolver-with-holster-img-9252-resize-orig.jpg

I also found one that was auctioned in 2005.
This rig sold for $8,625 at Morphy Auctions.
The holster was manufactured by J.T. Pittman.

Holster-made-by-J-T-Pittman-marked-under-flap.jpg

Last edited:
Gentlemen, quick question. I'd like to display my starr in a nice case with the note and holster on the mantel. Any members make them. Would be proud to have one made from a member. Thx Doc.

View attachment 378164

Back