1863 Sprinfield rifle musket...

lincoln4243

Cadet
I'm new here and not sure of where to post this.
Would anyone happen to know the value of a 1863 Springfield??(the one mentioned in subject field)

Thanks for the help!!

Dave, the value relies on three things. condition, condition, condition. What is the wood like, the bore, the metal/pitting, are the sights on it, any cartouches visible, any swivels/sling? How tight is the lock, how visible are the manuf. marks? Any provenance associated with it? I mean, it could be from $500-5000. If I had to give a guestimate, most prices run from $1500-2500....ballpark figure.

Matt is quite right w/ his estimation. Keep in mind though if it has been sporterized ie shortened stock or converted into a shotgun the price drops dramaticly (less than $500). Are the parts originals or is it a parts gun made up by an armory from multiple damaged weapons? Or perhaps by a CW Reenactor from a mix of reproduction and original parts. Be advised that some of these are so well done they are all but impossible to tell from an original. From having seen several (maybe a dozen) at gunshows in the upper midwest over the last two years I think the price range betwen $1000-$3000 range w/ the majority being in the $1200-$1500 range is quite realistic.

The markings on the lock can alter the value in a rather dramatic fashion. Some of the rarer contractors start at $3000 and a Colt contract will generally start at $2500 and only go up.

If you are deciding on purchasing one, think of it as an investment; in less than 40 years (when my father started as a gunsmith)prices have gone from under $100 to well over $1000.

Good Luck

Not exactly buying one. I have one that I was thinking of selling and wanted to find a general price. It's in pretty good condition and I believe it has all the original parts. No bayonet though. It has the front sight, the back one is missing. It also still has the ramrod. I'm guessing whoever owned it during the time carved their name into the stock. (Welsh) Also there is a DK carved by the trigger. I don't know if that would be of any use. And on the barrel beside the lock there is a V P and another letter that I cannot make out. The wood is in good condition, only a few chips here and there.

Thanks again!

(Message edited by Lincoln4243 on January 22, 2005)

Dave:

Welcome aboard!

Suggestion on your Springfield. Get on line and try to buy one. That should give you an idea of what you should ask for yours.

Carry it to re-enactments. (Check out ground rules first.) Visit chat rooms and ask the same question you did here. That should get you in front of a few hundred potentials.

Wish I could afford one, but the number of books that kind of money would buy leads me to forget about it.
Ole

Before you do anything verify it isn't loaded. You would be shocked at how many have turned up loadedover the years as they were often hung on walls in a ready to use manner and left there. Just lower the ramrod down the barrel, it should all but disapear, and ideally it will ring when raised slightly and dropped.

Buy yourself a can of air and pointing the barrell at a blade of grass or such spray some air through the nipple, it should move the grass. If it fails to do so it is an indicator that the nipple channel is clogged.

From the description offered it sounds like it carries the dings and scratches of service and assuming all parts are original and intact except the rear sight and overall condition of Good to Very Good it would be reosonable to ask $1100 + some depending if you might be able to figure out some sort of provenance aka G G Grandad was w/ the 52nd Illinois and this was the gun he carried. THis sort of thing requires a copy of his name on a roster for the Company and often discharge papers which often show that he purchased his rifle and gear for as little as $3. A bit of research can make a big difference.

If you opt to take it to a gunshow try and take it to one of the more serious ones as those hosted in Minnesoata by the MWCA (Minnesota Weapons Collectors Assoc) Tennessee has a similar organization. Take some digital photos and be ready to email them. Try to deal w/ people who have established reputations.

I might suggest Lodgewood at www.lodgewood.com (call them live as they are sometimes not real good about answering emails.

www.shilohrelics.com and http://fulmerantiqueguns.com are both other reputable outfits

As to other websites you can ask this question try CivilWarGuns.com, it might take a little while to get an answer but that answer will be a good one.

http://Civilwarguns.com/cwt_main/index.htm

Good Luck

Shane, It sounds as though you are bit of a collector, will/do you go to the Mansfield, OH show in May? A friend and I have a table in the smaller bldg (we have had for a few yrs now) If you go I can give you more details. Matt

Shane,
Thanks for the sites! I'll try those and see what I come up with. If you guys would like me to post what I get back I can.
Thanks!
Dave

I tried uploading pictures but there was a problem.... Oh well, maybe I'll try again later!

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt, my father was a gunsmith for twenty years, I grew up around every imaginable kind of firearm and have been able to shoot many as well. That comfortable scent that reminde me of home is wood smoke and gun oil. My father has always had a fascination w/ the firearms of the Civil War and has also loved the old single shot breechloaders of all types. So you could probably say there is a bit of gunpowder in my blood. Finances are a bit thin for me for a variety of reasons. The big show in Ohio would just be window shopping and drooling for me... Not that that stops me from attending every MWCA show I can get to.

In my dreams I want an original Enfield, Lorenz, Sharps Rifle, Colt Revolving Rifle, Spencer Rifle, and a Hall Rifle... while I have seen all of these I would have to win the lotto to do so. Sooo, I just have to dream some more and keep rereading good books that put me behind those rifles.

For what it's worth our local gunshow (large scale) operator is Mr. Bob Pope who lives in or near La Vergne, Tennessee. He's a member of our SCV camp 1293 in Brentwood. We're meeting this Thursday night, I'll try and get his e-mail address. He is a most knowledgeable fellow and certainly is in touch with current values.

Dave,

This gentleman is an expert on civil war era weaponry and is the promoter for our large local/regional gun shows. He is a member of Sam Davis SCV Camp 1293 in Brentwood, TN. I'm sure he will be anxious to speak or correspond with you.

Bob Pope 615-391-2315

[email protected]

bobpopegunshows.com

Back