1862 Tower musket engraved with name and s.s #

Hello, my name is Dan and from WI, I am currently an FFL-07 holder and just had 2 civil war era weapons come into my shop. The first is a Tower musket that has proof marks on the barrel and crown on the lock. The intristing part is there is a name as well as s.s # engraved in the trigger guard. It also has on the butt plate another name and dated 1898. I will include photos and looking for any information i can obtain on these guns. Tbe second is a bolt action rifle with a long barrel. The lady thought it was a schmidt-Ruben however i dont believe it is. I'm at a loss on this one!! Hoping you guys out there can provide or direct me to information on these guns. This era is not my specialty yet do find tbem facinating!
0913181901.jpg
0913181338c.jpg
0913181846.jpg
0913181846c.jpg
0913181339.jpg
0913181846a.jpg
0913181407.jpg
0913181848.jpg
0913181846d.jpg
0913181850.jpg
0913181850a.jpg
0913181850c.jpg
0913181849a.jpg

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
The "Tower" musket is a cut down and sporterized P1853 Rifle-Musket. It looks like the stock has been sanded, but look for any stamps in the wood in front of the buttplate tang, rear trigger guard extension, and on the side of the stock opposite the lock.

The other rifle is a Swiss Vetterli rifle. I am not familiar enough with them to determine which exact model it is, but with some searching on Google you should be able to narrow it down. It too has been "sporterized".

Cheers,
Garrett

Last edited:
I would think that the name and SS# was there so that if they were stolen that they could be identified and welcome to the group from middle Alabama.

So assuming any historical value has been diminished do to the modifications to sporterized them, have they maintained any value at all? All i know about them is that this lady (who's in her late 80s) got them from her dad and have been stored by her for 70+ years. Being hard up for some $ she brought them to me to see if i can sell them for her so trying to give her an honest value of what they are worth. Any thoughts?

James N.

Major
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
So assuming any historical value has been diminished do to the modifications to sporterized them, have they maintained any value at all? All i know about them is that this lady (who's in her late 80s) got them from her dad and have been stored by her for 70+ years. Being hard up for some $ she brought them to me to see if i can sell them for her so trying to give her an honest value of what they are worth. Any thoughts?
I've seen butcher jobs like this for the past half-century I've been looking at guns and resisted buying any of them until very recently when I was itching for something new and bought a similar cut-down ca. 1820's U.S. musket, paying $180 for it, which was probably way too much. Realistically, it has NO intrinsic value, other than as a historic relic or curiosity. The Vetterli is particularly problematic, because nobody cares about or wants anything like that - at least my musket and maybe your Enfield were used in the Civil War before becoming Grampaw's shotgun.

Welcome to the forums!

It is very sad to see these gun changed from their original state but i guess at that time when they were changed they weren't really that old and had an abundance of them laying around so were repurposed for practical use for that time. I would love to give this elderly lady some better news but they are what they are.

Being new to not only this forum but to any forum, I am very impressed with the welcomes and responses that I've recieved. Thank you to everyone who has made a response!

Welcome from eastern Ohio. The bolt action rifle is a Swiss Vetterli. Many years ago, I owned a M1871 Swiss Vetterli that had the 8 shot tube magazine under the barrel. The one I had was in very good condition and I bought it for about $10.00 and it came with the bayonet and half box of very old 10.4mm rimfire cartridges. Being a stupid teenager, I tried firing one or two of the old cartridges which was not one of my better ideas. I remember seeing several of these back then so Bannerman must have sold them very cheap.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)