1862 Battle of Williamsburg

Added to Calendar: 20 dates

I will be the first to admit that my knowledge of this battle is somewhat limited. Winfield Scott Hancock is my favorite Civil War personality. Once again, he appears to be one of the few leaders on the field doing what he’s supposed to, and once again, he is let down by others.

The battle of Williamsburg was considered a Union victory but it was more of a delaying action against Johnston's rear guard covering his retreat from Yorktown. To buy time he placed Longstreet's division in fortifications at Fort Magruder. Hooker's division attacked Fort Magruder and was repulsed. Longstreet then counterattacked and was threatening to rout Hooker's division. Union reinforcements led by Phil Kearny stabilized the Union lines and then attacked Longstreet forcing his division to retreat. Hancock led a bayonet charge against the 24th Virginia and the 5th North Carolina that drove those regiments from the field earning him his nickname Hancock the Superb. Jubal Early was wounded as he personally attempted to rally the 24th Virginia. Casualties were around 2,400 men killed, wounded or captured for the Union and around 1,800 men for the Confederates. The Confederates resumed their retreat from Yorktown the next day and continued until making a stand at Seven Pines which was fought on May 31st-June 1 1862.

Last edited:
Casualties were around 2,400 men killed, wounded or captured and around 1,800 men for the Confederates.
That and the number of forces engaged make it a major battle that doesn't get much attention. I read a good book about it 2-3 years ago and visited there in June last year.

My great, great grandfather was at Williamsburg. He was a member of the 28th Virginia. He lost his leg when he was shot in the hip. Considering his wound, it was amazing that he survived. Always looking for more information about the Williamsburg Battle.

This was our unit's first battle, the 23rd NC Infantry, as part of Early's brigade. They became disoriented in the undergrowth during the counterattack and never actually made it close enough to be a factor....perhaps if not for that it could have actually been a successful counter?

Back