Muzzleldrs 1861 Springfield muskets

There's a lot of data out there about Springfield Armory production, contractor production, etc of the M1861 but I don't recall anything specific to your request about '61s produced at the Springfield Armory in '61. You might want to reach out to the Springfield Armory National Historic Site and see if they have what you need. The best list that I've seen in a quick Google search is from Dr. Francis Lord's Civil War Collector's Encyclopedia (pub in 1965) but it doesn't specifically say what the Armory produced that first year. Obviously not enough to meet government demand/orders since they immediately contracted out to other manufacturers.

Not contesting the source, or saying you're wrong, but that's a lot more than many make it out to be. Reading some posts here, and other sources, you'd think they didn't make hardly any until 1862...

It looks like a pretty big number all on its own, but it only accounts for 12.73% of the M1861s produced at the Springfield Armory, 4.7% of all M1861s (that figure excludes State contract guns), and less than 0.5% of Springfield's total production for the war.

It looks like a pretty big number all on its own, but it only accounts for 12.73% of the M1861s produced at the Springfield Armory, 4.7% of all M1861s (that figure excludes State contract guns), and less than 0.5% of Springfield's total production for the war.
With those stats, yes it puts the number in perspective.

Does anyone know exactly when Springfield stopped 1861 production and started M1863's ? From time to time I run across legitimate looking M1861 Springfield dated '63. I realize contractors made them throughout the war, but when did the armory switch over?

Does anyone know exactly when Springfield stopped 1861 production and started M1863's ? From time to time I run across legitimate looking M1861 Springfield dated '63. I realize contractors made them throughout the war, but when did the armory switch over?
Don't quote me on this, but I think the '63's actually started being rolled out in '64.

Back