1861 Springfield minie ball mold help

I recently purchased an 1861 Springfield from armisport and was hoping to hunt with it. However I qiuckly found that a .575 minie ball was way to small to achieve any accuracy. I've been trying to find a larger mould and ordered a .578 improved minie ball mold from Lyman. After making the new minie ball though, it seems to be the exact same size as the originial .575 minie. Does anybody here know what size minie ball I need for a tight fit and good accuracy. And if so where can I get one?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
I use a Lyman improved mold in an original P1853 and have had absolutely no problems with accuracy. Have someone with a good set of calipers measure your bore for you. You may need the bore measured down the barrel as well. Usually a minie ball .002 inches smaller than bore size should deliver good accuracy.

Jobe Holiday

Sergeant Major
The best way to measure the bore diameter is with "pin gauges". These are specific diameter precision ground cylinders used by machinists, tool makers, gunsmiths, etc. If you go to the N-SSA.org bulletin board, I believe there was a discussion there not too long ago about where to buy reasonably priced pin gauges.

As for larger diameter moulds, I would try Moosemoulds.com. They make precision aluminum moulds of very high quality. They are not cheap, but they are good! They also have a Face Book page.
J.

Jobe Holiday

Sergeant Major

kevikens

2nd Lieutenant
If you have access to a good gunsmith ask him to "slug the barrel". It is easier to measure the bore by measuring an object (usually a chunk of lead) that is inserted tightly within and fills the bore, then is removed and then measured with calipers. There is considerable variation in bore calibers in both repros and originals. In most cases it would not matter that much but if you want to drop a deer at a hundred yards it makes all the difference, from one in the boiler room to one in the butt.

As for larger diameter moulds, I would try Moosemoulds.com. They make precision aluminum moulds of very high quality. They are not cheap, but they are good! They also have a Face Book page.
J.
That is great info, never heard of them, good info to know! Great knowing that someone make Minie Molds you can cast from and size down to fit!

Kevin Dally