1861 Special R-M Colt

Question: Recently purchased a 1863 dated Colt Special Model 1861 that came today. What is the proper way to remove the ram rod? I'm guessing it has not been out in a very, very long time. The books tell me it is held with a spring spoon as there is no swell in the rod. Is there a spot where your hand puts pressure to release before pulling? Thanks in advance.

The spring set into the wood under the rod, and there is no way to release it.
You see lots of these where someone has clamped on a pair of vise grips and horsed it out, damaging the metal and your Colt will never be the same again.
I won't try to give you instructions, but I will tell you to:
GO SLOW
GO CAREFUL
PROTECT METAL AND WOOD
and
last but not least,
you'll do better if you have two people involved

The spring set into the wood under the rod, and there is no way to release it.
You see lots of these where someone has clamped on a pair of vise grips and horsed it out, damaging the metal and your Colt will never be the same again.
I won't try to give you instructions, but I will tell you to:
GO SLOW
GO CAREFUL
PROTECT METAL AND WOOD
and
last but not least,
you'll do better if you have two people involved
I think you comment on two people might be the way to go.

Let's see it!
As request. With Copyright permission received. M1861 Colt Special Rifle Musket dated 1863

Colt M1861 Special R-M 1863  #1.png

Colt M1861 Special R-M 1863  #3.png

Colt M1861 Special R-M 1863  #5.png

Colr M1861 Special R-M 1863  #7.png

Colt M1861 Special R-M 1863  #12.png

Colt M1861 pecial R-M 1863  #20.png

Colt M1861 Special R-M 1863  #23.png

Colt M1861 Special R-M 1863  #24.png

Colt M1861 Special R-M 1863  #32.png

Colt M1861 Special R-M 1863  #33.png

Beautiful. I don't believe I have ever seen a Colt with the Model 1855 style rear sight before?
Thanks, The sight is exactly the same as on my 1859 dated HF M1855. The dimensions 1.254" by .63" , marks and mounting location are correct according to "American Military Shoulder Arms vol.3" by George D.Moller. So this is the sight that should be on all three years.

Thanks, The sight is exactly the same as on my 1859 dated HF M1855. The dimensions 1.254" by .63" , marks and mounting location are correct according to "American Military Shoulder Arms vol.3" by George D.Moller. So this is the sight that should be on all three years.

The sight on this rifle is the M1858 type sight. They are correct for early production Model 1861 Rifle-Muskets, but like @rob63 I have never seen one on a Special Model before. I don't want you to think I am dissing your musket, but rather pointing out that is an unusual feature for this musket.
However, it may be of interest that the rear sight that replaced the M1858 in July of 1861 (the M1861 rear sight) was actually designed by Elisha Root who worked for Colt and was instrumental in designing the Colt Special Model musket. For a more detailed history this excellent write-up by Tim Prince may be of interest for those without specialized reference books: https://collegehillarsenal.com/Exce...-Model-Rifle-Musket?search=colt special model

V/R
Garrett

The sight on this rifle is the M1858 type sight. They are correct for early production Model 1861 Rifle-Muskets, but like @rob63 I have never seen one on a Special Model before. I don't want you to think I am dissing your musket, but rather pointing out that is an unusual feature for this musket.
However, it may be of interest that the rear sight that replaced the M1858 in July of 1861 (the M1861 rear sight) was actually designed by Elisha Root who worked for Colt and was instrumental in designing the Colt Special Model musket. For a more detailed history this excellent write-up by Tim Prince may be of interest for those without specialized reference books: https://collegehillarsenal.com/Excellent-Colt-M1861-Special-Model-Rifle-Musket?search=colt special model

V/R
Garrett
Read Tim's article and see what you are saying. Who knows what Sam Colt may have used, or 157 years later through various owners. Thanks

Back