1861 Lamson, Goodnow & Yale Musket

Greendoor

Private
59967391_1_x.jpg

Trying to determine if date on lock is 1863 or 1865. I have attached a photo for further clarification. Also have a question regarding the barrel. Is it original to the musket? Looks like a large gap, is this normal?
59967391_6_x.jpg
59967391_8_x.jpg
59967391_4_x.jpg

Looks like 1865 to me and the gap could be due to the wood warping over the years. It looks like it’s had a ruff life! That could account for the gap as well. But great Springfield!

Any records on regiments who were issued these muskets during the civil war? From the photos I've attached does it look like the original ram rod? Original screw on lock plate? I'm thinking about purchasing this musket but my top priority is it being 100% original. Thanks again for all the helpful input.

From George Moller, American Military Shoulder Arms, Vol III, and Reilly, U.S. Military small arms 1816-1865 you will find;

L,G & Y "special contract 1861" rifle muskets look like a Colt "special" because they got their machines and specs from Colt.
They delivered 50,020 guns on a contract for 50,000. 5000 delivered in 1862, 24,200 in 1863 and 21,000 in 1865, completing their contract. **Also included on this "special 1861 contract", were Colt(100,005) and Amoskeag (27,001}

The date in the photo is 1863. The rod is of the correct pattern. It is the second type lock plate with the Eagle forward of the hammer. Reverse the lock screws and it will fit better... they're not the same length.

L. G. & Y was the successor of Robbins & Lawrence and following completion of the special 1861 contract continued as E. G. Lamson & Company making Palmer carbines.

Last edited:
59967391_1_x.jpg

Trying to determine if date on lock is 1863 or 1865. I have attached a photo for further clarification. Also have a question regarding the barrel. Is it original to the musket? Looks like a large gap, is this normal?
59967391_6_x.jpg
59967391_8_x.jpg
59967391_4_x.jpg
That particular lockplate marking is for the 1863, all years had a different lock variation. The '64 lacked the eagle motif; there were some'65 pieces made (maybe a few hundred), but they lacked the eagle as well.

Nice Musket. I would run to get it if I were you.

If you can put some talcum powder in the date it'll be easier to read. Just sprinkle some on and wipe off the rest, the powder will come to rest naturally in the date stamping. Then just use a damp paper towel to get it out of the date when your done. Don't forget to dry it.

Very nice old musket it looks like 63 to me, It looks original to me. I agree the gap bettween the wood and the barrel looks like shrinkage from age. I like it I would get it and hang it on the wall.

Aside from the ram rod being a modern replacement, is there anything else on the musket that doesn't look right in terms of replacement parts? Thanks again for everyones knowledgeable input.

It’s nice, and original. Without knowing what they are asking for it, I can’t tell you if it’s a good deal or not. I can say there are not a lot of these left in original condition. Most have been sanded, cleaned, parts replaced, cut down, etc. I would jump on that if the price is right. Good luck, and your wise for asking questions!

Back