1861 Army of Georgia uniform regulations

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
In February of 1861 Georgia published uniform regulations for the Army of Georgia: Enlisted men were to wear black hats looped up on the left, gray frock coats with standing collars and single rows of nine buttons, and gray pants. Trim of branch color, black for infantry and orange for artillery, was to appear on the edge of collars and cuffs and pants stripes..

So I have some questions about the 1861 Army of Georgia uniforms. 1) Why black trim for infantry? 2) Why orange for artillery instead of the more usual red. 3) What color of trim did the cavalry wear?

I have seen the Army of Georgia illustrated with a small square of branch trim on the edge of the collar and branch chevrons of cord on the coat cuffs, and thin branch trim on the outer seams of the trousers. I assume NCOs trouser seams were like the regular enlisted men's thin stripes.

For enlisted men, “a single breasted frock coat of Georgia Cadet gray, with a skirt extending one half of the distance from the top of the hip to the bend of the knee.”
John Sanford King Co A.jpg

John Sanford King, Private, Company A, 16th Georgia Infantry
Born 1831. Enlisted as a Private July 11, 1861. Admitted to Chimborazo Hospital in Richmond May 18, 1862 with diarrhea. Returned to duty June 12, 1862. Killed at Chancellorsville, VA May 3, 1863 by a gunshot wound to the head.

This is how Richard Hook illustrated the uniform in Ron Field's The Confederate Army 1861-65 (2) Florida. Alabama & Georgia. I like the regimental number on the collar and company letter on the hat. Using company numbers on coat collars had went out of style on U.S. Army uniforms before the Civil War. Many of the companies for in 1861 used the Army of Georgia uniform regulations as a basis for their uniforms.

Ger 111.jpg

The Georgia Army regulations of February of 1861 (General Orders No. 4) were only applicable to the two infantry regiments, one rifle battalion, one artillery battalion, and one cavalry battalion of the Army of Georgia but it appears that the 1st Regiment Georgia Regulars three year infantry received the same or similar uniforms.

The Army of Georgia also appears to have been issued blue flannel sack coats for fatigue duty and it is speculated that the single cavalry battalion wore gray jackets instead of the gray frock coats.

Last edited:
When did state regulations call for the black facings on the sleeves commonly seen on Georgia state issue frock coats and jackets?

tumblr_maqdwclBUV1rd3evlo1_1280.jpg

First Sergeant (later Captain) Marmaduke H. Marshall, Co. K, 17th Georgia Infantry.

10-ivey-w-duncan-15-ga-inf-001_2.jpg

Ivey W. Duggan, Co. K, 15th Georgia Infantry.

The Liberty Rifles portrayed the 21st Georgia Infantry in a living history event at Brawner's Farm, 2nd Manassas, last year and they were almost entirely uniformed in Georgia state jackets: https://www.libertyrifles.org/photos/2017/brawners-farm/

Georgia had abolished the office of the Adjutant General in 1840 and did not bring back the office until 1860. This resulted in Georgia having no militia uniform regulations in the 1850s and the militia companies seemed to wear different uniforms, most of which were based on United States Army dress. So from 1850 until 1861, blue frock coats and light blue trousers worn with blue caps was the more common dress for the militia companies, however, the uniforms differed in details. Other militia companies wore other styles of dress.

In February of 1861 General Orders No. 4 was published to cover the small Army of Georgia which was then forming. General Orders No. 4 seems to be the origin for the use of black trim. Militia companies would have probably continued to wear what ever dress they wanted. But starting in February of 1861 newly forming companies seemed to often adopt gray uniforms with black trim as it was seen as the standard Georgia uniform. This does not indicate that there was uniformity among the militia companies and each company could still select what they please but many infantry companies adopted some type of gray frock coat with some type of black trim. Some of the militia companies wearing blue frock coats may have switched to gray as well.

When Georgia formed the 1st Regiment Georgia Regulars for the Confederate government they appear to have been issued uniforms similar to the Army of Georgia. This helped to establish gray frock coats with black trim as the standard dress for Georgia infantry. I do not have information about the 1st Regiment Georgia Regulars received blue jackets for fatigue, but they may have.

Georgia also issued black trimmed shell jackets early in the war. View attachment 192422
What is amazing to me is the fact that this same uniform was worn on the field at Gettysburg and is evident in the Rose Woods pictures of dead Georgia soldiers. Go to the LOC site and type in Gettysburg photos, it will show all of the LOC collection and depending on your computer you can blow the pics up, be careful as some of the soldiers lost articles of clothing when dragged. There are some distressing visuals, if you zoom in too much, but you can see the detail of the black facings.

I would like to look at the site you are referring to, however do not know what LOC stands for, could you please give me the full name of the site. Thanks you in advance.

What is amazing to me is the fact that this same uniform was worn on the field at Gettysburg and is evident in the Rose Woods pictures of dead Georgia soldiers. Go to the LOC site and type in Gettysburg photos, it will show all of the LOC collection and depending on your computer you can blow the pics up, be careful as some of the soldiers lost articles of clothing when dragged. There are some distressing visuals, if you zoom in too much, but you can see the detail of the black facings.
That's interesting, didn't think any made it that long. I fall in with 2 different Georgia groups at times and was considering having one of these jackets made but thought I'd just narrow myself to early war so I stick with a Richmond depot.

That's interesting, didn't think any made it that long. I fall in with 2 different Georgia groups at times and was considering having one of these jackets made but thought I'd just narrow myself to early war so I stick with a Richmond depot.

Probably a good choice ad it will give more flexibility. Add a easy War coat would be great if you have some extra cash.

I remember you mentioned that in another thread and I thought it was interesting.

Think this might be the photo you're talking about?

https://www.loc.gov/resource/cwpb.00831/

00831v.jpg

Looks like a black facing on the sleeve.
Gettysburg uniform 1.jpg

And another view:
https://www.loc.gov/resource/cwpb.00888/

00888v.jpg

Gettysburg uniform 2.jpg

Georgia state quartermaster was still in operation at the time so it makes sense. I recall reading that Georgia troops were issued frock coats from the state quartermaster before the Gettysburg Campaign.

I would like to look at the site you are referring to, however do not know what LOC stands for, could you please give me the full name of the site. Thanks you in advance.
I remember you mentioned that in another thread and I thought it was interesting.

Think this might be the photo you're talking about?

https://www.loc.gov/resource/cwpb.00831/

00831v.jpg

Looks like a black facing on the sleeve.
View attachment 192773

And another view:
https://www.loc.gov/resource/cwpb.00888/

00888v.jpg

View attachment 192774

Georgia state quartermaster was still in operation at the time so it makes sense. I recall reading that Georgia troops were issued frock coats from the state quartermaster before the Gettysburg Campaign.
Yes many thanks!

Could this soldier have been wounded earlier in the war and made it back in time for Gettysburg, utilizing the jacket he wore or was issued when wounded? I think that reenactment units should have a mixture of uniforms, some soldiers may be on convalescent leave when a new uniform was issued, others could have been on an extended "leave of absence". I think at least 20-25% of the unit should have different uniforms, since that was the rate of convalescents at any given time.

When Georgia formed the 1st Regiment Georgia Regulars for the Confederate government they appear to have been issued uniforms similar to the Army of Georgia. This helped to establish gray frock coats with black trim as the standard dress for Georgia infantry. I do not have information about the 1st Regiment Georgia Regulars received blue jackets for fatigue, but they may have.

Interesting thread, I've found myself quoting "Footprints of a Regiment" here on CWT before, and now I find myself doing it again, shortly after enlisting and arriving at Fort Gaines the author, W.H. Andrews, a member of the 1st GA Regulars, relates:

"In the way of uniforms we drew blue flannel shirts. And for bedding a blanket for each man."

Later, when they arrived in Savannah, Andrews relates:

"On arriving in Savannah we marched through the city and pitched our tents on the commons, where we drew new uniform, shoes, caps, and overcoats. All having previously had their measures taken by a tailor. Our uniforms were of Confederate gray, single-breasted frock coats with Georgia buttons, black cords down the outer seams of the pants. Caps were gray. Overcoats extending to the knees, with large capes. Altogether we were nicely fitted up. Besides, we had a fatigue uniform of jacket and pants. The Regulars were armed with muskets, and drilled in Hardee's tactics for heavy infantry."

"Footprints of a Regiment" is a great book, but difficult to follow as its part diary, and part memoir, it seemingly being a author edited diary, but the book is a great resource, and given the original post, I thought it might warrant mention here.

Interesting thread, I've found myself quoting "Footprints of a Regiment" here on CWT before, and now I find myself doing it again, shortly after enlisting and arriving at Fort Gaines the author, W.H. Andrews, a member of the 1st GA Regulars, relates:

"In the way of uniforms we drew blue flannel shirts. And for bedding a blanket for each man."

Later, when they arrived in Savannah, Andrews relates:

"On arriving in Savannah we marched through the city and pitched our tents on the commons, where we drew new uniform, shoes, caps, and overcoats. All having previously had their measures taken by a tailor. Our uniforms were of Confederate gray, single-breasted frock coats with Georgia buttons, black cords down the outer seams of the pants. Caps were gray. Overcoats extending to the knees, with large capes. Altogether we were nicely fitted up. Besides, we had a fatigue uniform of jacket and pants. The Regulars were armed with muskets, and drilled in Hardee's tactics for heavy infantry."

"Footprints of a Regiment" is a great book, but difficult to follow as its part diary, and part memoir, it seemingly being a author edited diary, but the book is a great resource, and given the original post, I thought it might warrant mention here.

It has been speculated that their first uniforms were like the uniforms of the eary 1861 Army of Georgia uniforms.

I've never devoted a lot of time to Georgia uniforms, my interests lie in the Trans-Mississippi concerning them, but I'm always reading as many Confederate memoirs as I can, and W.H. Andrews' work has always stood out to me, because of his somewhat detailed descriptions of such things.
I'm not familiar with early-war Georgia uniforms, but based of his Andrews' description, my mental picture is a single-breasted frock coat with no trim, trousers with black piping, and I'd say its possible the cap may have trim, but Andrews' description says nothing of it.

Its too bad the Savannah tailors who made them left no detailed records of their work.

Back