Muzzleldrs 1861 and 63 Bolster Questions

Trooper325

Cadet
Still new at this so please forgive my ignorance of part names.

I believe on the opposite side of the lockplate there is a tab called the bolster where the spring sits under? It it machined or forged as a part of the lockplate?

Also the bolster (I think the name of them) where the nipple goes. Are they machined and part of the actual barrel or are they screwed or brazed on?

Just trying to figure the tech out. Thanks for any info

Reactions: WJC
Welcome! I have no idea, but I am looking forward to the answer! Meanwhile, be sure to join in our discussions: new perspectives are always appreciated! Enjoy!

The lock and most smaller parts were made by using a drop hammer to forge the parts in a set of dies. A series of dies would get them very near to the final shape. They were then final machined.

The barrel was formed by rolling in a machine specific for that purpose. A lump of metal was then welded to the end that could be machined into the bolster.

I am attaching some pages that are an article from The Scientific American that you may find interesting. This is where the above info comes from.

Pg.1.jpg

Pg.2.jpg

Pg.3.jpg

Pg.4.jpg

Pg.5.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome from South Carolina.

Here's a link to help you with the terminology of rifle muskets, etc. They incorrectly called them "rifled muskets", but the drawings are still good.

Funny piece of modern nomenclature...rifled muskets vs rifle-musket. Fuller calls his excellent work on the US models "The Rifled Musket." Not sure exactly when the terms stopped being used interchangeably but we all kind of settled on "rifle-musket" for an arm which was manufactured that way vs a smoothbore which made that way and was later rifled.

Back