1860 Spencer Repeating Rifle

Larrygaskill

Cadet
1562854725708.jpg

I have a spencer rifle. Serial # 6184. I had an ancestor who served 3 years in the In 17th mounted infantry (Wilders Brigade)
Any possible record of where this rifle was assigned?

Last edited by a moderator:
We would love to see photos of it to include the serial # and the makers marks. Then we can see what we are dealing with as far as seeing if its listed in the SRS which will tell when and what unit its was issued. Be advised that not all weapons are listed but its a good start.

Very Nice Spencer rifle. Thanks for sharing it with us. One thing to keep in mind with the SRS data is that if its not listed, its not listed.

Last edited:
The thing about the Spencer is: It's an elegant example of efficient engineering; it has a refined and balanced visual appearance in an artistic sense; and it's a significantly interesting historical artifact for its use of shelled ammo and being a repeater -- "state of the art" for the period we are interested in.

In one sense, it seems to me this arm is not so completely outclassed as a combat weapon that it wouldn't yet today be effective in some limited patrol scenarios (I don't mean the antique, but the design produced as new), in that the caliber is a body stopper. But I'm not a veteran, just a pretender, so if anybody has a more experienced outlook on that...

Last edited:
From Springfield Research Service, your rifle is bracketed by these 2 rifles:
SN 6182 issued to 72nd Indiana, Co. A on 15 May 1863
SN 6199 issued to 72nd Indiana, Co. B on 15 May 1863

@Larrygaskill

If you run the word "Spencer" in the internal document search bar, you'll find a plethora of references to those rifles. Seems to start at Chapter XIX (p.108).

History of the 72d Indiana volunteer infantry of the mounted lightning brigade... especially devoted to giving the reader a definite knowledge of the service of the common soldier, with an appendix containing a complete roster of officers and men

https://archive.org/details/historyof72dindi00mcge/page/n6

This is a photo of one of Wilder's men mounted with his Spencer rifle slung on the left side of his saddle. Look for saddle ridge wear on the stock of your rifle on the right side between the lower barrel band and the receiver. This would indicate use by mounted infantry. If you find any post a pic.
droppedImage.jpg

@Larrygaskill

If you run the word "Spencer" in the internal document search bar, you'll find a plethora of references to those rifles. Seems to start at Chapter XIX (p.108).

History of the 72d Indiana volunteer infantry of the mounted lightning brigade... especially devoted to giving the reader a definite knowledge of the service of the common soldier, with an appendix containing a complete roster of officers and men

https://archive.org/details/historyof72dindi00mcge/page/n6
Thanks for providing this information most interesting

Back