What is this? 1860 Enfield 2 Band Rifle

KHRISTIAN

Cadet
I cannot find any information on the barrel marking or maker of this rifle. It comes from a family in northern Tennessee and I cannot figure out any information on it. Please help!!

14A2A064-EE4B-42A9-BF69-A0B7792E3295.jpeg

Last edited:
The broad arrow marking denotes British Military Service making it doubtful that it saw Service in the ACW.

Can you remind me/us what the numbers 24 and 25 meant? As I recall 24 was for the 58 caliber US market and 25 for the 575 caliber British military - or do I have that all wrong?

Here's one with 1860 "G. Hume" lockplate that sold at auction in December 2018

And an ad in the Glasgow Herald listing G. Hume of Dumfries as a "gunsmith"
View attachment 370705
Glasgow Herald, (Glasgow Scotland), July 13, 1888, page 2.
Thank you so much. What’s the value on something like this?

I would say nice looking Enfield but I can't see it all so. Nice looking Enfield lock-plate. @johan_steele is spot on with the marks being British military. As far as value can't say as can't see the whole weapon. For more info lets see what the Enfield guru's say. paging @Lanyard Puller and @Craig L Barry

It was not unusual for the retailer of English and Scottish guns to add inscribe their name on a piece. Despite Hume describing himself as "gunmaker" in some trade directories, it is thought that he was really a retailer.

Birmingham Provisional and Definitive Proof Marks. Figure 25 denotes bore (gauge) size. British practice with rifled barrels is to measure from land to land.

Last edited:
Is it worth $1100??
For me no way to tell from the pics. If it’s in good shooting condition I would call it reasonable but as I only collect shootable ACW arms I would likely pass. As a shootable original it sounds reasonable. If it’s just a wall hanger run away.

with what looks like iron furniture it’s likely a P56... which is a plus to me.

Last edited:
Probably a private purchase British Volunteer arm, the date is about right. Hard to say? The broad arrow is usually associated with War Department issue, but it appears to have a couple commercial proof marks and the lock is not marked VR like most government arms.

As far as value, while it has no likely Civil War provenance, $1100 does not seem to be overly expensive compared to the cost of decent original arms if the bore is in shooting condition. For that matter, even quality reproductions of the two-band P58 Enfield rifle are in that price range now.

Last edited:
Back