1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

WANTED 1859 Sharps carbine front sight piece (have base)

Discussion in 'Sutlers & Soldiers Classified Ads' started by ewmail15, Oct 23, 2017.

1. ewmail15

ewmail15 Private

Had I known how difficult it would be, after contacting close to 100 individuals/relics business owners, to find parts, maybe I'd have chosen to just part out my carbine. Would anyone have an old wreck of an 1859 or 1863 Sharps carbine laying around? Maybe the barrel is bent, metal is all rusted to ****, smacked up against a tree as mine likely was?

It would surely help my confidence if anyone could reply that they indeed have one laying around in the attic or basement, and would be willing to help me out with parts. I could try my hand at taking a brass piece and shaping it to fit into the base per photos, but I'd much rather have an original piece. Thanks, Eric in WI.

P.S. admins, could you please change your filter/editing tool to allow the word c r a p?

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. ewmail15

ewmail15 Private

Here are son pics of the front base. Dave at lodgewood told me I needed a pin. I used my magnifying glass and started lightly scraping the base. What I thought was just a recess broken pin on the right side was a pin hole. Pin head(?) is on the left side. I also realized the front left had a whack that'll have to be heated up and straightened.

I still hope someone has front and rear sights.

Attached Files:

4. gary

gary Captain

You can make a front sight with a flat steel stock of the right thickeness. Drill the hole first so you have a reference point and then grind and file to shape. Blue and install. General rule of thumb in America is to install the pin from the left side and to remove the pin from the right side (there are exceptions and you have to know your fyrearm)

ewmail15 likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)