1853 Enfield

My guess would be that x pieces of the parts that often broke would be ordered.
When a piece on gun broke it would either be fixed by the regimental armorer. And that would be a good deal of work since he had to make the part fit.
Or if more serious be returned to the arsenal who could then fix it.
And if there where no parts then the gun was broken down into pieces to be used to fix other guns... Again something that was a lot of work.

My guess would be that x pieces of the parts that often broke would be ordered.
When a piece on gun broke it would either be fixed by the regimental armorer. And that would be a good deal of work since he had to make the part fit.
Or if more serious be returned to the arsenal who could then fix it.
And if there where no parts then the gun was broken down into pieces to be used to fix other guns... Again something that was a lot of work.
That was where these non interchangeable guns have a problem. You need a skilled fitter to modify the parts to fit each gun when it needs repair and new parts. You cannot just give a low skilled armourer a box of spare parts for him to swap with broken parts.

That was where these non interchangeable guns have a problem. You need a skilled fitter to modify the parts to fit each gun when it needs repair and new parts. You cannot just give a low skilled armourer a box of spare parts for him to swap with broken parts.
yep. My topic here: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/none-interchangeable-parts.181448/ show the issue pretty well. With my french M1822T made from parts from 3 guns..

The way the danish army dealt with it was pretty simple.
To get a joba s a battalion level armorer you had to have been educated at the Kronborg geværfabrik (the arms factory making guns for the military)

So they had all experience producing the different parts at the factory. That made sure they knew how to make replacement parts fit.

But obviously this system only worked well in peacetime. When war broke out and the army expended in size, there where no large reserve of trained craftsmen.

Back