Muzzleldrs 1853 Enfield? No Civil War Usage? Value?

CS imports have a mix of the two bore [caliber] stamps.. Birmingham proofs {5 different whacks} for example; 25 25, 24 25, and 24 24. The first number {closer to the breech} is the initial proof, the second towards the muzzle was the definitive proof of the final bore size.
London proofs (3 whacks} were more standardized with only one number, 24 or 25.

Last edited:
Considering there was a great Confederate movement and spy operation in Toronto, I would take no offense at that. One of the characters in my book will go to Toronto on a spying mission in the next book if this one ever sees daylight.
Perhaps this belongs in a different thread, but I had no idea of this spy activity in Canada. Is there something online I can read? Fascinating stuff.

Perhaps this belongs in a different thread, but I had no idea of this spy activity in Canada. Is there something online I can read? Fascinating stuff.
By all means, you should start another thread on this.
In 1864, the confederate government authorized and funded a formal espionage operation in Canada.
Among other plans, there was the Northwest Conspiracy to start a rebellion in the North by freeing confederate prisoners of war on Johnson's Island on Ohio's Lake Erie, arming these freed officers men with weapons cached ahead of time, and then enrolling northern men who were southern sympathizers. It was much more involved that this, and only one of the several plots hatched (another was the raid on St. Albans, Vermont, especally a raid on the gold in the local bank!)

Considering there was a great Confederate movement and spy operation in Toronto, I would take no offense at that. One of the characters in my book will go to Toronto on a spying mission in the next book if this one ever sees daylight.
A lot of my folks were from Canada. The Pattersons were in Welland County in Thorold Township. Some were in Pelham. Mom's mother was from Saskatchewan (Mikado) and the Cormans in Stony Creek. (Yes, we're related to Isaac Corman) It looks like my Blairs were from Nova Scotia.

By all means, you should start another thread on this.
In 1864, the confederate government authorized and funded a formal espionage operation in Canada.
Among other plans, there was the Northwest Conspiracy to start a rebellion in the North by freeing confederate prisoners of war on Johnson's Island on Ohio's Lake Erie, arming these freed officers men with weapons cached ahead of time, and then enrolling northern men who were southern sympathizers. It was much more involved that this, and only one of the several plots hatched (another was the raid on St. Albans, Vermont, especally a raid on the gold in the local bank!)
Fascinating stuff...I had no idea! I think I will start that thread now...but which Forum to post it to??? Civil War History Discussion?

Back