Muzzleldrs 1853 Enfield? No Civil War Usage? Value?

allegiant120

Private
Hello all I have what I believe to be a 1853 made in 1863. I think this Enfield bears the markings for a class 1 government rifle and not one made for export? Any chance this could have ended up in the ACW? If not what is its rough value? Thanks

20200203_141518.jpg

20200203_141514.jpg

20200203_141508.jpg

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. You correct as the VR and the barrel markings say it was made for the Crown troops and not an export. I know a few did get in early in the war but had early dates, with an 1863 date I would no. As far as value on it lets see what our Enfield guru's have to say. Paging @Lanyard Puller and @Craig L Barry

Welcome from the "Northern-most state of the Confederacy"....Canada :unsure: (please, I hope nobody takes offence at that).

UCVRELICS is right...it is a Pattern 1853 Enfield made for the British military. It's not just the lockplate that identifies it as British military, but also the markings on the barrel. However, I can't tell you if its Type 1, 2 or 3 because you haven't given us a full-view picture. Please post more pics.

Value will depend on many things, like whether the lock functions properly at halfcock, fullcock, firing; condition of the inside of the barrel and the outside of the barrel (including underneath where it's hidden by the stock), whether all the parts are original, etc, etc. Can you see any rifling? do you have the original ramrod? etc etc

Last edited:
Welcome from the "Northern-most state of the Confederacy"....Canada :unsure: (please, I hope nobody takes offence at that).

UCVRELICS is right...it is a Pattern 1853 Enfield made for the British military. It's not just the lockplate that identifies it as British military, but also the markings on the barrel. However, I can't tell you if its Type 1, 2 or 3 because you haven't given us a full-view picture. Please post more pics.

Value will depend on many things, like whether the lock functions properly at halfcock, fullcock, firing; condition of the inside of the barrel and the outside of the barrel (including underneath where it's hidden by the stock), whether all the parts are original, etc, etc. Can you see any rifling? do you have the original ramrod? etc etc
Thanks guys, it is in all original condition, it has the screw type barrel bands not the ones with the retainers. It does have the original ramrod.

Thanks guys, it is in all original condition, it has the screw type barrel bands not the ones with the retainers. It does have the original ramrod.
Well words alone simply won't do!! (hahaha, I am joking). Forum members love pictures more than their own children. A few extra pics (when you get a chance) would be great so we can all get a nice look at it.

Is there a story that goes along with the gun? We love stories too. :O o:

A lot of those were converted to Snider Enfields, a breech loader. Still its in nice shape. Wish I was in that condition and I'm not quite as old (At least that's how I feel sometimes. I got a little worried though when I looked at my birth certificate and thought I saw B.C. after my year of birth)

I am unqualified to form a valid opinion, but the leather strap, though it is an honest characterization, I feel does not belong. Surely it isn't 158 years old.
Lubliner.

Considering there was a great Confederate movement and spy operation in Toronto, I would take no offense at that. One of the characters in my book will go to Toronto on a spying mission in the next book if this one ever sees daylight.

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. You correct as the VR and the barrel markings say it was made for the Crown troops and not an export. I know a few did get in early in the war but had early dates, with an 1863 date I would no. As far as value on it lets see what our Enfield guru's have to say. Paging @Lanyard Puller and @Craig L Barry
So a 1862 Tower with only a 25 on the barrel would have been sent here?

Back