1849 Harpers Ferry Musket

Cpepitone

Cadet
Just purchased a 1849 harpers ferry musket with 33" barrel. It's in decent enough shape and still functions. The initials PJH are punched into the stock with what looked to be an awl. Underneath that is a C and under that is 4 Texas, all punched in with an awl. I can only assume this may be the fourth regiment Texas cavalry troop C company, but any help I could get would be greatly appreciated as I'm looking to find if this is legit and who the soldier was that carried it. Thank you

The down side is that the awl work could have been done anytime in the last 150 years. I would submit a picture and see if you can find the rolls for C company 4th Texas & I would start with the 4th TX Infantry brfore I would look into a Cav connection.

image.jpg
This is the awl work. There was a private Hanley in C company 4th regiment Texas cav. According to the national park service. I'm just at a loss of really where to look.

Take a pic of the lock and another overall of the weapon.

Finding out who carried it... you will never be 100% and even getting to 25% is a chore. As I said the awl work could have been done at any time in the last 150 years. PJH might have purchased it as surplus after the war and did the awl work, his son or grandson might have in memory of their ancestor or Joe Bob who found it in a barn might have in an effort to increase the sale price there is just no way to know w/out other corroboration.

You have a nice cut down M1842 Musket manufactured by Harpers Ferry in 1849. The CS did cut down damaged arms and reissue them. Though from my knowledge not in this way as they would have reutilized the top barrel band as that is where the sight was. IMO you have a post war cut down by a local gunsmith as it doesn't fit w/ the Bannerman cut downs I've seen which would make me very suspicious of the markings in the stock. But I'm a nasty suspicous sort anyway.

IMO most who would buy this would be interested in partsing it out or as a wall hanger.

Good luck

Thank you for the info. I only paid $75.00 for it. Hopefully it's worth a little bit more than that. Again thank you very much for the information. The owner didn't know anything about it.

Chris

My non-cut-down M.1842 musket tantalizingly/annoyingly has S Belveal April 11 scratched into the butt. Knowing the truth of what Johan has told you, I've never even bothered to try and find out anything about it!

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I normally deal in military weapons and equipment from World War 1 to Vietnam but I seem to be coming across more and more Civil War and earlier weapons. This forum has been a great wealth of information and the people here are top notch. Again I thank you all for the help.

With all due respect to Johan, the type of alteration shown on this musket is a known type of CS battlefield salvage work. Yes, many types utilized the front band, but there are a number of other alterations that just left the middle band in place. These cut downs were for mounted troops, that's why the double sling swivels were important to keep. The salvaged muskets of this type were intended to be used from horse back with either Buck & Ball, or the CS triple stack of buckshot.

I wouldn't disregard this example too quickly!

J.

With all due respect to Johan, the type of alteration shown on this musket is a known type of CS battlefield salvage work. Yes, many types utilized the front band, but there are a number of other alterations that just left the middle band in place. These cut downs were for mounted troops, that's why the double sling swivels were important to keep. The salvaged muskets of this type were intended to be used from horse back with either Buck & Ball, or the CS triple stack of buckshot.

I wouldn't disregard this example too quickly!

J.

As I understand it the CS mods added a brass sight notched into the remaining barrel band so there would be a front sight of some sort. Am I incorrect in that or did I misread something? I know your expertise on this.

Back