1842 Harpers Ferry lock, what to build ?

TNBandit

Private
Here's an off the wall question. Being on a Social Security budget makes it difficult to just throw down the cash for a nice original rifle. But I like to stay in the game and so my Winter hobby is building guns piece by Piece in the Johnny Cash method of one part at a time. Being absolutely "correct" is out of my price range as witnessed by the project I'll soon have completed. It's an 1861 Springfield built using an original Norwich lock, some original parts, an aftermarket barrel from S&S Firearms and a repop stock from Numrich. It will be a fair representation of what an 1861 Norwich rifle should look like without the big pricetag. So here we are with a new project. I got a great deal on an 1845 dated Model 1842 Harpers Ferry lock. Had to remove & replace a couple broken bridle screws which is why it was a great deal. Now I could simply start collecting bits for a Model 1842 but I really like all the Brass bits and the patchbox on the Model 1841. Without going completely Frankenstein and creating something that never existed was there any variation that used the 1842 style lock but had all the Brass bits ? Carbine length barrel would be a plus too. If not I'll likely just bite the bullet and look for all correct Model 1842 stuff.

No, the US 1841 and US 1842 locks do not interchange most parts. They have different dimensions, If you are starting out with a US 1842 lock assembly you should probably make a US 1842 musket out of it.
That's my thought also. And it gives me an excuse to look for a Model 1841 as well.

So on the advice to build a Model 1842 I found and purchased this from an online auction. It's not in my hands yet but it went cheap due to the chopped stock & barrel and it gives me lots more bits & pieces to start with. Knowing how I can be though since this one also has a nice Springfield manufactured lock I may end up building one of each.
Screenshot from 2021-11-14 13-04-24.png

I am just seeing this, but I would highly suggest an M1842 project, because of the interchangeable parts. My most recent build was an M1842 using all original parts and original stock around a new barrel as I built it for shooting. Eventually I will probably have an original barrel to swap in if I so decide. I have some posts about it, but below is a photo, demonstrating how you can restore the parts to have a consistent looking "non Frankenstein" parts gun.

.jpg
20210530_112224.jpg
20210530_112233.jpg

Finding the original parts in decent condition is fairly easy if you are patient and know where to look and the M1842 goes together well. It was a very enjoyable project for me. It shoots very well also.

I am just seeing this, but I would highly suggest an M1842 project, because of the interchangeable parts. My most recent build was an M1842 using all original parts and original stock around a new barrel as I built it for shooting. Eventually I will probably have an original barrel to swap in if I so decide. I have some posts about it, but below is a photo, demonstrating how you can restore the parts to have a consistent looking "non Frankenstein" parts gun.

View attachment 421787 View attachment 421788 View attachment 421789

Finding the original parts in decent condition is fairly easy if you are patient and know where to look and the M1842 goes together well. It was a very enjoyable project for me. It shoots very well also.
Very nice !

Thank you Sir.

What I wanted to add was as you can see from the photos my intention was to try and get all the parts to have a similar condition and appearance. This included doing what many would consider heresy in that I removed some patina from some parts as well. What I wanted was the look of a well used but cared for musket during the war. I also thought of it as a "Captured & Collected" C&R musket that was a battlefield pick up and had some components replaced.

It has a Whitacre Barrel and shoots incredible for a smoothbore.

Back