Muzzleldrs 1841 Mississippi rifle

BillWright

Private
Is there anyone on this site who is knowledgeable of the 1841 Mississippi rifle and its subsequent alterations

I have a museum quality 1841 rifle, lock plate Harper’s Ferry dated 1853. The tang dated 1848. It has been altered to 58 caliber. The barrel has been turned down to the socket bayonet. The stud fixed to the bottom of the barrel. I have the bayonet as well. And this rifle shoots very well. What I’d like to know are the dates of any like altered 1841 rifles, such as the date of the tang compared to the lock. I believe the lock was probably replaced when alterations were made on the rifle or the barrel was swapped. This rifle has been in my family a long time.

I have a museum quality 1841 rifle, lock plate Harper’s Ferry dated 1853. The tang dated 1848. It has been altered to 58 caliber. The barrel has been turned down to the socket bayonet. The stud fixed to the bottom of the barrel. I have the bayonet as well. And this rifle shoots very well. What I’d like to know are the dates of any like altered 1841 rifles, such as the date of the tang compared to the lock. I believe the lock was probably replaced when alterations were made on the rifle or the barrel was swapped. This rifle has been in my family a long time.

Post some photos of your gun and members will be able to identify which parts are original. Due to the general interchangeability of the M1841, and their many war time alterations it is quite common to find them with mixed parts.
Photos of the barrel proofs, patchbox mortise, buttplate markings, and cartouches on the stock flat will be needed.

As has been mentioned we will need pics to make any kind of educated guess. Also keep in mind these were interchangeable arms, when they went through an armorers hands he didn't give two figs about keeping the original lock or barrel together; his job was to get it inspected, repaired and back into the field soonest. It's also had more than 150 years to have been played with, modified, prettiefied and repaired by owners.

I appreciate all of the responses. I will post pictures soon. I am visually disabled now and I have most of these books and can no longer read them

The cartouche looks like WCK
769271B6-D367-425C-9F0A-13C79E556F15.jpeg

I could be wrong, but my thinking from research. The lock plate and barrel are 4 years apart dated, so good chance they didn't start life together. The stock having WCK indicates Harper Ferry alterations, but the barrel would also have WCK on it in front of bolster. Harpers Ferry altered all manufactures. The numbers on barrel left indicates Leman alteration. I'm thinking somewhere in it's life it was a combination of components to make one very nice rifle. An armorer was only concerned with getting a working model. Again I could be wrong.

Back