1816 Waters musket/bayonet question

Cavalier

2nd Lieutenant
I have an 1816, 69 cal. Waters musket converted to percussion. I would like to know what kind of bayonet is appropriate for that musket. I have a bayonet that fits the barrel however there is no locking ring on the bayonet. I am not sure if that would be correct for this make and model of musket. Thanks in advance for anyone who cares to respond.

The model 1816 bayonet did not have a locking ring.
1567777618691.png

@cake1979 The bayonet I bought fifty years after I was given the musket. I was told that the appropriate bayonet probably would not have had the locking ring but that was an educated guess by the seller of the bayonet.

@ucvrelics Thank you very much for the photo! That appears to be what I have.

Thanks to both of you.

@cake1979 The musket was given to me by my father for my 12th birthday in 1956. I have many happy memories of us shooting at tin cans and bottles with it. I dont fire it any more. I explained what musket I had and was directed to this bayonet. I was surprised that there was no locking ring on the bayonet because the US 1816 muskets so closely resembled the French Charleville muskets and their bayonets were equipped with a locking ring.

I agree with you about @ucvrelics! Thanks to him I feel much better about my bayonet!

To answer the question at bar, this is the correct bayonet for the US 1816/22 which featured no locking ring. The later US 1835/40 and 1842 .69 caliber muskets featured a bayonet with the locking ring and most would fit the barrel fine, but the lug nut was on the bottom of those models and if used on the US 1816/22 musket, it will face left vs on the right. The bayonet pictured is the correct one for this model.

Back