Miniatures 17th Mississippi Infantry, Company I, Pettus Rifles.

rebel brit

Captain
Forum Host
Commanded by Captain Marmaduke Bell, the Pettus Rifles of De Soto County were organized as Company I into the 17th Mississippi Inf.
Mustered into Confederate service on June 1st 1861 , ahead lay four years of war in the ranks of the ANV.

I got the idea to build this particular figure from Don Troiani's book ' Regiments & Uniforms of the Civil War'.
Scratch built using Magic-Sculpt and Duro except for the head which I had in my 'bit's box'. I adapted it by sculpting the beard and the hat and then painted the figure using Humbrol enamels.
The scale is 120mm or 1/16th .
IMG_4564a.jpg
#
IMG_4569a.jpg

IMG_4561a.jpg

@rebel brit ,

Gotta' love those top hats!

I was a Confederate reenactor with the 17th Mississippi at the 135th Gettysburg reenactment. Can't say I saw any of the boys with those fine hats you show above, but it would have been great if they had worn them!

Great job!

Sincerely,
Unioinblue

Seeing Don Troiani's painting and knowing there wasn't a figure like it to buy, I just knew that I had to make one for myself.

Commanded by Captain Marmaduke Bell, the Pettus Rifles of De Soto County were organized as Company I into the 17th Mississippi Inf.
Cool. I had an ancestor in Company H, 17th Mississippi. I think this was their early uniforms but this uniform is well documented. I would love to have a figure like that.

When did you do this? You seem to have quite a few figures stored away. Was this a recent project?
Thanks for posting.

What impresses me most about your figures is that they are always in proportion. The arms, hands, legs, body and the size of the heads all fit. I've been involved in the hobby long enough to have seen commercial figures that this is not always the case.
Great job! And I like the hat, too.

What a splendid moment in time frozen in your sculpture! The Ole Boy is leaning forward running into whatever is comming his way! How dramatic and perfect!! Really stunning work
Regards
David

What impresses me most about your figures is that they are always in proportion. The arms, hands, legs, body and the size of the heads all fit. I've been involved in the hobby long enough to have seen commercial figures that this is not always the case.
I was reading someone's description of Michelangelo's sculpture of the "perfect man"---"David". His interpretation was the large hands was expressing the power of Man during this new age of the Renaissance.

Back