16th Georgia Infantry

Awesome and thank you so much! So it would be fair to say my G2 Grandfather Joel Bird fought in the battles you mentioned unless hospitalised? Can you please tell me about Brothers Francis M Bird, John Montgomery Bird, and Henry J Bird who died in 1861, I presume of disease? Their 1st Cousins were James G Bird who died of disease in 1861 and buried in Richmond. His Brothers were Joseph P Bird and Benjamin M Bird.
Also who is your Husbands G2 Grandfather?

lelliott19, I found some more info on my G2 Grandfather Joel Newton Bird, This came from a 1907 Census of Confederate Veterans, Montgomery County, Alabama Genealogy Trails. It said he first entered service as a PVT in July 1861 at Athens, GA in Company D, 16th GA Infantry and continued until Sept 1864 then he was commissioned as First Lieutenant in Oct 1864 in the Derroughs Battalion Cavalry and continued until paroled in Athens, GA after the close of the War. Do you know anything about this later unit?

lelliott19, I found some more info on my G2 Grandfather Joel Newton Bird, This came from a 1907 Census of Confederate Veterans, Montgomery County, Alabama Genealogy Trails. It said he first entered service as a PVT in July 1861 at Athens, GA in Company D, 16th GA Infantry and continued until Sept 1864 then he was commissioned as First Lieutenant in Oct 1864 in the Derroughs Battalion Cavalry and continued until paroled in Athens, GA after the close of the War. Do you know anything about this later unit?
probably a local formation, may have served as local defense against Union raids and incursions (though Sherman all but abandoned that region of Georgia when he marched to Savannah and the Carolinas, so the Confederates were able to retake those places). Get the feeling he wanted to serve closer to home, or have an excuse to desert and go home to protect his family, a major concerned for many frontline soldiers from the state after Sherman came through.

probably a local formation, may have served as local defense against Union raids and incursions (though Sherman all but abandoned that region of Georgia when he marched to Savannah and the Carolinas, so the Confederates were able to retake those places). Get the feeling he wanted to serve closer to home, or have an excuse to desert and go home to protect his family, a major concerned for many frontline soldiers from the state after Sherman came through.
Makes sense and thank you

The spelling appears to have been Dorough. I found a smattering of info concerning the unit of which the following link has the most detail.
http://www.history-sites.com/cgi-bin/bbs62x/gacwmb/webbbs_config.pl?md=read;id=14431
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~pudig/military/GACav.htm
https://ranger95.com/civil_war/georgia/cavalry/doroughs_cav_bn/doroughs_bn_cav_rost.html

Back