15th Alabama Lieutenant's uniform

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

cwArtGary18

Cadet
Hello everybody,
This is my first post.

I am in the process of painting a scene from the battle of Gettysburg and was wondering if anyone knew what a Lieutenant's of the 15th Alabama (specifically, Lt. John B. Adrain) uniform would look like? Or at least point me in the right direction as far as finding a good reference for one (museum, photo, etc.).

Thank You

Patrick H

Lt. Colonel
Hmmm... I wouldn't know where to begin to send you, but I admire your quest for authenticity. I am pretty sure you'll get a useful answer from someone else who is really in the know. I'm pretty sure it'll happen any minute now.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
The best hope is to find a photograph. The issue here would be that just because Lt. John B. Adrain wore a certain uniform in a photograph would not mean that is what he wore at a particular battle. Many officers would have had a uniform they wore for dress and a fatigue uniform for field wear.

ucvrelics

Major
Forum Host
Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. Here are 3 different photos of Lt's in the 15th Ala Inf, Hope it helps. Also, here is the link to the Ala Archives where these came from.
William_Calvin_Oates_15th Ala Inf CSA.jpg
Isaac_Ball_Feagin_ 15th Ala Inf CSA-1.jpg
Joseph_Mathew_Ellison 15th Ala Inf_CSA-1.jpg

AUG

Major
Retired Moderator
First photo above is Col. William C. Oates.

Second photo is Isaac Ball Feagin, captain of Company B and later lieutenant colonel.

Third photo is Joseph Mathew Ellison, first lieutenant in Company C.

But these images were taken at various times and may not have been what they wore at Gettysburg. For example, the photo of Ellison was obviously taken early in the war since he appears to be wearing a blue Alabama Volunteer Corps uniform.

There's also some more photos here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Alabama-Confederate-Images-341482969637985/photos/?tab=album&album_id=342555022864113