154 years ago today the VMI Corps of Cadets fought at the Battle of New Market.

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Honored Fallen Comrade
“The Federals, under General Franz Sigel, faced southwest John C. Breckinridge, once vice president of the United States, commanded the Confederates. Colonel Scott Ship commanded the Cadet Corps of the Virginia Military Institute, which distinguished itself by capturing a battery. The battle ended in Sigel’s retreat northward.”

https://www.nps.gov/abpp/battles/va110.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a little video a few years ago about the West Virginians involved in the battle who are generally overlooked. I'm sure I made a few mistakes in the story as I find military movements confusing, so I used an old telling of the battle, which I hope is generally accurate.

I made a little video a few years ago about the West Virginians involved in the battle who are generally overlooked. I'm sure I made a few mistakes in the story as I find military movements confusing, so I used an old telling of the battle, which I hope is generally accurate.

Thanks for sharing, truly inspirational. :thumbsup:

One of our brothers tried to share this story at a speaking engagement. It is an inspiring story. He was uninvited again but I’m sure someone learned from this history.

Back