2014 Photo Contest 150th Battle of Chickamauga

gbiguy

Private
150th Battle of Chickamauga. N. Ga. Reenactment, October, 2013.

DSC_5756 copy.jpg

Hmmmm, on the other hand, isn't this something soldiers would have had to deal with constantly? I don't know much about field care of equipment during the war.

To add another post, this is an awesome picture. There are levels and levels of authenticity here.

The soldier is portraying one of Longstreet's soldiers in Cobb's Georgia Legion who made the long train ride from Virginia to Georgia just after Gettysburg. They arrived in Ringgold and started toward Chickamauga while listening to the cannon booming and arrived just as the battle was ending. They had just gotten resupplied in Richmond with shell jackets made of English wool that had a blue tint. This caused a little confusion I believe at the Battle of Wauhatchie (correct me if wrong). They would hang out with Bragg on Missionary Ridge before setting out towards Knoxville and took a hammering at Fort Saunders. They made it back to get hammered again in the Overland Campaign and Petersburg.

That rusty rifle though, for shame.

To add another post, this is an awesome picture. There are levels and levels of authenticity here.

The soldier is portraying one of Longstreet's soldiers in Cobb's Georgia Legion who made the long train ride from Virginia to Georgia just after Gettysburg. They arrived in Ringgold and started toward Chickamauga while listening to the cannon booming and arrived just as the battle was ending. They had just gotten resupplied in Richmond with shell jackets made of English wool that had a blue tint. This caused a little confusion I believe at the Battle of Wauhatchie (correct me if wrong). They would hang out with Bragg on Missionary Ridge before setting out towards Knoxville and took a hammering at Fort Saunders. They made it back to get hammered again in the Overland Campaign and Petersburg.

That rusty rifle though, for shame.
To be fair, it rained like crazy all night and most of the day Saturday. My rifle had its share of rust too and I'm fairly particular in that department.
We mustered a small brigade of authentics who were all dressed in identical blue-grey kersey jackets and many in light blue trousers. It was pretty spectacular.

I had planed for a month to go to the 150th Chickamauga. Drove almost 8 hours that Saturday morning. Got there and it was RAINING COLD AND HARD. I was a little upset.

Beautiful pic.

Back