150 Pdr Parrott Rifle Today?

Does anyone know if any museums or the like have a Naval 150 pdr Parrott Rifle mounted on a slide and carriage? I´m looking for the possibility of getting detailed pictures of one for model building purposes. I´ve added a picture to give ya´ll an idea what I´m looking for. The ship I am building had 2 of them. One on the bow and one on the stern. I was just wondering if anyone has seen one somewhere today.

Attachments

• 150 Pdr Parrott Rifle.jpg
    150 Pdr Parrott Rifle.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 2,913
I found a 200 pound Parrott gun....It not in really mounted the way you wanted it...

http://ftp.genlyon.addr.com/Swamp_Angel-Trenton1.jpg

A more to the story...

Swamp Angel - 200-pounder Parrott Rifle

In preparation for the bombardment of Charleston, South Carolina, in August, 1863, Major General Quincy Gillmore ordered the construction of a battery in the swampy marsh near Morris Island. An 8-inch, 200-pounder Parrott siege gun was mounted, under fire from the Confederates, and promptly began firing incendiary shells into the city. This gun, named the "Swamp Angel" continued firing for two days until, on the thirty-sixth round, the gun exploded. But, it had caused a tremendous amount of moral damage in Charleston and went into history as the most famous Parrott gun. The "Swamp Angel" cannon is now located in Trenton, NJ.

There is one mounted as you wish in Clemons Ny.,a very small mountain town about 10 miles north of Whitehall NY on Route 22 to Ticonderoga.I'll try to come come up with a picture,and repost.

What I am looking for is the Naval 150 pdr mounted on a wooden pivot slide carriage.
The description "150 pdr" and "200 pdr" refers to the weight of the projectile. For the navy, the 200 pound projectile was shortened due to limited storage space on ships. The 150 pdr and 200 pdr are the same 8 inch Parrott rifles. Only the length and weight of the projectile is different.
The Parrott rifles were prone to exploding if fired too fast. On the second assault on Ft Fisher, the Susquehanna´s foward Parrott rifle exploded after rapidly firing 88 rounds, killing four sailors and causing minor damage to the ship itself. The breech band cracked and the upper part of the breech was blown off. A total of 215 rounds from those guns were fired into Ft Fisher from the Susquehanna. The ship was also damaged just from the concussion of these guns. At the end of the war, they were removed and replaced with even larger XI Dahlgrens. (11 inch). Some Ironclads carried up to 15 inch Dahlgrens.
Here is a picture from one of the 15o parrotts barrels I have already made for my ship. The officer is scale to the gun. (I hope) :laugh1:

Attachments

• Officer and Parrott Rifle.JPG
    Officer and Parrott Rifle.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 529
What I am looking for is the Naval 150 pdr mounted on a wooden pivot slide carriage.
The description "150 pdr" and "200 pdr" refers to the weight of the projectile. For the navy, the 200 pound projectile was shortened due to limited storage space on ships. The 150 pdr and 200 pdr are the same 8 inch Parrott rifles. Only the length and weight of the projectile is different.
The Parrott rifles were prone to exploding if fired too fast. On the second assault on Ft Fisher, the Susquehanna´s foward Parrott rifle exploded after rapidly firing 88 rounds, killing four sailors and causing minor damage to the ship itself. The breech band cracked and the upper part of the breech was blown off. A total of 215 rounds from those guns were fired into Ft Fisher from the Susquehanna. The ship was also damaged just from the concussion of these guns. At the end of the war, they were removed and replaced with even larger XI Dahlgrens. (11 inch). Some Ironclads carried up to 15 inch Dahlgrens.
Here is a picture from one of the 15o parrotts barrels I have already made for my ship. The officer is scale to the gun. (I hope) :laugh1:

I found a great picture of a picture of a parrott gun on what you want at Rogers Battery in Alexandria Va.

A parrott rifle form Ft Stevens...

http://www.cdsg.org/pratt/battery1.gif

http://www.paulnoll.com/Oregon/Tourism/Coast-Astoria-Lincoln/Noll-Ft-Stevens-SP-choices-1.html

I hope this is what you are looking for....

I believe the one in Clemons Ny was mounted on a boat operating in Lake Champlain,sorry I haven't been able to to provide a picture .A photographer in Ticonderoga may be able to help.

I believe the one in Clemons Ny was mounted on a boat operating in Lake Champlain,sorry I haven't been able to to provide a picture .A photographer in Ticonderoga may be able to help.
Ellsworth,
I tried to find something, too but no luck either. If you "know" that it is still there, I´ll try and contact their local historian or Library. I´ve always had research luck going that route. Thanks.

Close Fish but no cigar. That´s a Carronade. Early 19th Century. Probably a 32 or 36 pdr. They were used for close in smashing. Weren´t very effective at long ranges but close-in, ship to ship action, they were deadly. Thanks for the pic.

Ellsworth,
I tried to find something, too but no luck either. If you "know" that it is still there, I´ll try and contact their local historian or Library. I´ve always had research luck going that route. Thanks.

Clemons lies within the Town of Dresden,Washington County,pop. for whole town 677.Agnes Peterson is the Town Historian and I believe she lives on Rt22 in Clemons.Good Luck

Your never going to get a cigar like this Fish. You´ll have to do better than that. :smile:

That´s a 12 pounder heavy boat howitzer on a slide mount. The ship is likely to be the USS Malvern.

Keep trying!

Back