150 mile walk through the snow to enlist

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
I am reading Grand Traverse The Civil War Era an just finished the part where some men walked 150 miles in the snow to enlist. The left during a major blizzard with temperatures said to hit 20 degrees below zero over 2 feet of snow with drifts 15 to 20 feet deep.

Boy does that bring back memories of being a sildier in deep snow. I was in the National Guard and was called out for a blizzard. I drove nurses, doctors and injured people to the hospital.

There were diets at least 15 feet deep and these are hard to drive through. I picked up people at some one story high houses where you could not see the roof. We had to dig through to where we thought the front door might be.

As far as I know I only had one person die on me before I could get the medics to them. The guardsmen who worked with me should have got a medal.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Being a Northern guy I was use to the cold and had seen blizzards but one day during the call up I was washing the truck and got sent on an emergency run. No time to put on winter gear, so no gloves or winter cap. Soaked to the skin in just a field jacket.

70 miles per hour in the back of an open 2 and a 1/2 ton truck going through snow drifts as fast as the drive dared to go. 20 miles later they could not get me out of the back of the truck as I was frozen to the wooden bench.

I tried to carry the shovel but could not stand upright in totally frozen clothing. I was shaking so bad, my vision blurred and I fainted. They stood me up, put the shovel my hand then told me to dig. I honestly thought I was going to die. 10 below zero no gloves an d no hat. I dug like a mad man to stay warm.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!