Breckinridge's Division
—Hill's Corps —
Text on the first tablet;

Adams' Brigade.
Breckinridge's Division - Hill's Corps.
Brigadier General Daniel W. Adams.
September 20, 1863, 10 a.m.

32nd Alabama, - Major John C. Kimbell.
13th and 20th Louisiana, - Colonel Randall Lee Gibson.
16th and 25th Louisiana, - Colonel Daniel Gober.
19th Louisiana, - Lieutenant Colonel Richard W. Turner.
19th Louisiana, - Major Loudon Butler.
14th Louisiana Battalion, - Major J. H. Austin.
Slocomb's (Louisiana) Battery, - Captain C. H. Slocomb.

Text on the second tablet;

At 10 a.m. Adam's Brigade having routed the troops in its front with its left on the Lafayette Road and Stovall's Brigade in line on its left moved toward the Kelly Field under a constant artillery fire pushing John Beatty's Brigade before it. It next encountered Stanley's Brigade which advanced to the support of Beatty. Finally, after having passed beyond the Union left and reaching a point in the woods nearly opposite the center of the Kelly Field it was checked by the assistance of Van Derveer's Brigade, Goodspeed's Battery and other troops which appeared on its flank in the Kelly Field. Together with Stovall's Brigade it retired to its early position north and east of the Kelly Field.

https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=105833

More markers from Chickamauga battlefield

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924077699878&view=1up&seq=218&skin=2021

Report of Col. Randall L. Gibson, Thirteenth Louisiana Infantry, commanding Adams' brigade.

O.R., vol. 30, pt. 2, 216-17

Transcript follows photos of letter from a 14th LA Sharpshooter at Chickamauga. below. Hope this helps.

Firearms & Military Artifacts > HISTORIC MILITARY & FIREARMS EVENT

CIVIL WAR CONFEDERATE LOUISIANA CHICKAMAUGA LETTER

View Item in Catalog
196_1.jpg

196_2.jpg

196_8.jpg

1 / 8

196_1.jpg

196_2.jpg

196_3.jpg

196_4.jpg

196_5.jpg

196_6.jpg

196_7.jpg

196_8.jpg

Lot #196 (Sale Order: 330 of 708)

Sold for: $525.00 to onsite
Milestone Auctions
starS-100.png
starS-100.png
starS-100.png
starS-100.png
starS-50.png
(1882)
Internet Premium : 20%
See Special Terms for additional fees
Cash Payment Discount:
2%

Watch this Item
Increment Table
Convert Currency

Share:

Save

Description​
Terms of Sale​
Item Description:Translate description
Low Estimate: 600High Estimate: 1,000
Outstanding 2 page Chickamauga battle content Confederate 14th Battalion Louisiana Sharpshooters letter written in browned ink September 24, 1863 by Thomas McCegney (McCagney) of Company B. The Transcript is as follows: Line of Battle near Chattanooga Sept. The 24th 1863 Manion my friend I take the pleasure of writing these few lines to you hoping to find you in as good health as this leaves me at present thanks be to God for his mercies to us all. Well we have had it at last on Friday and Sat and Sunday. Mr. Braggs co and Rosecrans had a devil of a mess but Mr. B co beat Mr. Rose very bad on Sunday morning our division attacked the enemy on the extreme right and drove them 1 mile and then old blinkie halted the brigade within range of the yankee so the brigade fell back and the old blind fool got wounded and taken prisoner and capt. gualut was killed hellemes was killed and stoveall wounded. Our battalion captured two pieces of artillery and one hundred and 6 prisoners in the first charge in the morning of Sunday and then in the evening at 4 o'clock our division made a charge on their breast works and the 13 and Von Zinken lead them so they had like to run over Yankees guns and everything else. I have no more at present to mention only the casualty's of the company. Wounded is Sargt Mizell, privates Halley, Hagan slightly with a shell in the hip. Halley with a miney ball through the right eye Mizell through the thigh and leg and that is all of our company that was hurt, Co A Lieut Pierce his leg shot off Warick has his finger shot off and Roberson was shot through the leg sum whare I don't exacelly know whare so that is all of our Batt that was hurt in the Battle of Chicamaga. Johney Stewart is missing and is supposed that he is taken prisoner. No more of our old co was hurt. The Washington artillery has lost 29 men and Cobbs battery lost 25 men. The 13 lost about one 3rd. No more at present but still remains your friend

pages 117-135 in Louisianians in the Western Confederacy (2010), covers the Louisiana brigade at Chickamauga.

I really like the Charles McCagney letters, thank you for posting those!

At Chickamauga, the 14th​ Louisiana Battalion of sharpshooters, under Major John E. Austin, served with Adams's Louisiana Brigade. At the time, the Battalion had a total strength of 99 men engaged (forming Companies A and B).

A detailed account of the Battalion's action at Chickamauga on September 20 was provided in a Report by Major Austin, dated September 26, 1863. (See 'OR': Vol. XXX, Part 2, at pp 227-29)

In summary. The Battalion acted as forward skirmishers for Adams's advancing Brigade, then later as a reserve to protect the flank and rear of Adam's Brigade. During this action, Company A of the Battalion captured two cannons (brass-6 pounders), three rear chests of caissons filled with ammunition, and eighty six enemy soldiers (including five officers). Company B of the Battalion also captured 33 enemy soldiers. Battalion total casualties in the action were 7 wounded (2 mortally, 3 seriously, 2 slightly).

Interesting sidebar about the 14th La Bn Sharpshooters:

12/2/63 Magruder to Gen Cooper-requesting the transfer to this Dist of Maj Austin cdg Austin's Bn of SS, Breckinridge's Div. The reasons can be briefly stated as I am greatly in need of good disciplinarians & skillful intelligent officers…Though he has never been under my command but officers like him are much needed here where the troops are largely new & undisciplined….

4/9/65 Magruder to Gen Breckinridge, Sec of War-regarding Maj J E Austin [14th​ La Bn SS]-
We greatly need efficient Brig Gen'ls-we have some good & some indifferent. Though Maj Austin is a young man he has great experience & is well known to you. At this moment I command the larger part of the forces of the TM Dept. He will either fight in this district or cross the river. In either case, this army, which is a fine one, will need a Brigadier of experience to command the line of skirmishers. In Ark I was able to organize a Bn of SS for each Mo Bgde & was proceeding to do the same for each Ark Bgde when I left. I will try to have a similar organization in the Infy here, at present numbering about 14,000. He has all the qualities for such a command besides which there are Infy Bgdes here w/o a BG. I urgently request your influence to have him apptd Brig Gen to report to the TM Dept for assignment to me. I have also written to La Senator Semmes on the subject.

Back