145th Anniversary Reenactment of Shiloh, March 16-18, 2007

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
BetsyShiloh07 020.jpg

With Doug Garnett (@1863surgeon ) in our camp at the 145th Anniversary Reenactment of the Battle of Shiloh, photographed by Betsy Mills. Other photos in this thread were taken by Larry Mink, James (Jim) Langley, and myself.

Probably because the actual Shiloh anniversary weekend in 2007 also happened that year to be Easter weekend, the 145th Anniversary of the first great battle in Tennessee was held two three weeks earlier in the middle of March. Experience has taught that spring in Tennessee can be a time of unpredictable weather, but unlike the two previous events I attended here in 1987 and 1997 - the 125th and 135th respectively, about which I've posted here previously: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/with-u-s-grant-at-shilohs-125th-april-1987.111839/ and https://civilwartalk.com/threads/wi...the-135th-shiloh-mudlo-april-4-5-1997.123354/ - the 145th was cold and windy but dry overall, thankfully lacking either snow or torrential rain. This time, lacking anything like a field command or position on army or unit staff, I attended as part of the Union Medical Department along with friends of like interests like Doug Garnett of Paris, Texas, above.

Part I - The Union Camps at Pittsburg Landing
BetsyShiloh07 024.jpg

We were among the first to arrive and soon erected our large and roomy medical ward tent and a field hospital-like setting in case any visitors came to visit but unfortunately there were few. On reason we attended as Federal medical personnel was in hopes that would put us nearer the crowd during the event, knowing for example that the Union camps would be overrun but the scenarios chosen limited anything like that. Above, Surgeon Larry Mink (seated) and I warm ourselves beside our early morning campfire. The door placed on sawhorses seen in these photos served as our outdoor "operating table." Below, talking with one of the few visitors.

BetsyShiloh07 039.jpg

BetsyShiloh07 025.jpg

The camp grew steadily as more troops arrived as seen in these photos.

BetsyShiloh07 033.jpg

Above and below, a Union drill or reconnaissance party during morning exercises.

BetsyShiloh07 035.jpg

Image (4).jpg

In addition to drill there's always time for a little of the 1862 National Pastime, even in the face of the Enemy!

Image (5).jpg

DSC04514.JPG

Above, a rather blurry look at camp life and chores.

Image (26).jpg

My humble abode in our ward tent shows my cot arranged with laid-out uniform and staff-and-field officer's sword for full-dress occasion like the Dress Parade; waiting for it below in full uniform. two surgeons strike a militant pose!

BetsyShiloh07 040.jpg

Next, Part II - Dress Parade

Last edited:
DSC04502.JPG

Part II - Dress Parade - And a Visit by the President!

BetsyShiloh07 027.jpg

Above and below, Union troops muster on the Grand Parade to be reviewed by their commanders and a very distinguished visiting dignitary.

BetsyShiloh07 029.jpg

BetsyShiloh07 30.jpg

I suppose one of the benefits of reenacting is the ability to somewhat tweak historical events; here at Shiloh in backwoods Tennessee the troops receive a call by the President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln, who seems to be making a surprise visit to the Federal camps.

DSC04503.JPG

DSC04504.JPG

Mr. Lincoln seems to be enjoying meeting Surgeon Maj. Jim Langley and the feeling is obviously mutual!

DSC04505.JPG

DSC04506.JPG

Below, following the review darkness settles over the unsuspecting Union camps on the evening of April 5, 1862.
DSC04484.JPG

Next, part III - The First Day, April 6

Last edited:
I suppose one of the benefits of reenacting is the ability to somewhat tweak historical events; here at Shiloh in backwoods Tennessee the troops receive a call by the President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln, who seems to be making a surprise visit to the Federal camps.

It still happens. We had President Davis pay our camp a visit at the Battle of Anderson this weekend. I just figure the history books don't quite record everything. :wink:

Part III - Early Morning Attack and The Hornet's Nest
DSC04485.JPG

Above, peacefully slumbering Union camps in the light of early dawn; below, the peace is shattered!

DSC04487.JPG

As I recall, there were three scenarios reenacted at this event: The early morning Confederate attack seen here in these photos by Jim Langley; and two scripted spectator battles portraying The Hornet's Nest and the Union counterattack. This one occurred either Saturday or Sunday morning and was a participant-only event.

DSC04486.JPG

Morning mists reveal Confederate troops on the horizon in the treeline.

DSC04488.JPG

DSC04492.JPG

Above and below, Union infantry fights to protect their camps from being overrun.

DSC04494.JPG

DSC04493.JPG

Above and below, Major Langley and Yours Truly watch the action from safe distances through our field glasses! Note the Federal camps spread out in the background; this was only a medium-sized event but still big enough to look impressive.

DSC04497.JPG

DSC04496.JPG

Above and below, Confederate troops move about in the distance from our camps; fortunately, we weren't involved in this early-morning tactical which was thankfully fought at a slight distance from the Union camps.

DSC04500.JPG

Below, following the battle the Confederates form up and march back to their own camps.

DSC04501.JPG

The Hornet's Nest
Image (10).jpg

The Saturday afternoon spectator battle, as usual for Shiloh events, consisted of the Confederate assault on the Hornet's Nest. The crowd was behind the cameraman, giving this view of the backs of the Union defenders behind a rail fence with waves of attacking Rebels coming from the treeline in the background. For some reason, this is poorly represented among my photos by only this pair. Next time the Union counterattack will be much better represented!

Image (11).jpg

Next, Part IV - Union Counterattack on April 7

Last edited:
Part IV - The Union Counterattack Begins
DSC04508.JPG

This scenario was the main and final feature of the event, taking place Sunday around noon or in the early afternoon; above are some of Union reinforcements waiting to go into battle, probably members of the 77th Pennsylvania. Some Confederate units likely "galvanized" for the second day, but I don't really know.

BetsyShiloh07%20045.jpg

Above, Confederate infantry occupies the old Hornet's Nest position of the day before to await the Union advance. These small photos were taken by Betsy Mills from a position at the front of the spectator area since she was attending as a costumed participant in period ladies' civilian attire.
BetsyShiloh07%20057.jpg

Above and below, the Federals arrive on the field and begin to drive back the Rebels.

BetsyShiloh07%20058.jpg

BetsyShiloh07%20074.jpg

Union cavalry and horse-drawn artillery accompanied the Federal advance to the rail fence along the Sunken Road, as seen in these photos above and below; note the cannon's perfect smoke ring.

BetsyShiloh07%20075.jpg

DSC04507.JPG

Jim Langley got these photos, taken from a nearer vantage point; above, another view of likely the 77th Pennsylvania. The original unit was the only one from that state in the battle and arrived with the reinforcements brought by Buell on the night of April 6-7.

DSC04509.JPG

DSC04510.JPG

Above and below, Union troops along the line of the rail fence fronting the Hornet's Nest.

DSC04511.JPG

DSC04512.JPG

Union "casualties" near the position of our aid station, showing the spectator crowd in the background.

DSC04513.JPG

Next, Part V - Union Field Aid Station

Part V - Union Medical Corps and Field Aid Station
BetsyShiloh07 043.jpg

The Union medical staff at Shiloh pictured above, left-to-right: author Surgeon Major Trevor Steinbach, commanding; Medical Cadet Luke _____; Surgeons Maj. James (Jim) Langley, Maj. Doug Garnett, and Maj. Larry Mink; and Assistant Surgeon Capt. James N. Trevor performed the actual useful function of overseeing water supply to keep the Union reenactors hydrated during the battle.
BetsyShiloh07%20058.jpg

Luke and I opted to accompany Trevor onto the field in the wake of the Union advance, as seen in these photos by Betsy taken from the spectator area, but we portrayed the kind of work done by assistant surgeons in assisting the wounded before they could be carried to the rear.

BetsyShiloh07%20060.jpg

The red flag seen here was used at the time of the battle in place of the more-frequently seen yellow hospital flag adopted later in the North; the red one remained in the South the sign of a field hospital.
Image (16).jpg

The flag wasn't really correct used this way but I thought it would draw the attention of the spectators to what it was that we were doing.

Image (17).jpg

Image (18).jpg

Above and below, I'm dressing the wounds of Rebel prisoners captured when their positions had been overrun while Medical Cadet Luke assists.

L Mink-Shiloh07-002.jpg

Below, I've moved on to our own men behind the rail fence. In reality this is farby and done for the benefit of the spectators - actual positions like this were at some distance behind the scenes of the action. Although Shiloh is noted for being where the first of many surgeons and assistant surgeons were killed during the war, the one to lose his life here was actually serving as a volunteer staff officer carrying messages on the battle's first day and was not treating wounded at the time of his death.

Image (19).jpg

The photo at left below shows our position beside the small cedar tree; as the fighting began to wane along the fence, I decided to take the opportunity to move along the line offering water and taking photos myself which will be shown in the final section!

BetsyShiloh07%20071.jpg

Next, Part VI - The Final Assault

Part VI - The Final Union Assault Drives the Rebels From the Field
Image (14).jpg

Above, a group of Union National and Regimental Colors mark the Federal line-of-battle; below, a regimental sergeant major observes his men as they load and fire along the fence.

Image (15).jpg

Image (6).jpg

Larry Mink and I were able to get these photos as we walked behind the Union line; at this time I am no longer able to attribute his photos from my own.

Image (7).jpg

Image (13).jpg

Image (8).jpg

Above, the Confederates continue to resist the growing Federal numbers, now strengthened by their artillery.

Image (9).jpg

Image (12).jpg

Image (22).jpg

The gun that interested me most was one seldom seen, either during the war or at reenactments, this Wiard 6-pounder rifled gun, and I took several photos of it. Below, it is advanced by hand from its original position, with the additional "help" of a few Confederate prisoners!

Image (23).jpg

The battle of Shiloh was also notable for having a battrey of these odd cannon engaged on the second day as part of Buell's reinforcing Army of the Ohio. For that reason, the current Shiloh National Military Park has a nice collection of these rare and unusual guns in its collection.

Image (24).jpg

In its new position in the open field the Wiard and its crew resume firing; below, another gun is moved forward by its horse-drawn limber.

Image (25).jpg

Image (20).jpg

At the battle's climax all Union troops advance, securing the field and victory, as seen below; nothing is left of the Southerners but casualties and prisoners.

Image (21).jpg

Last edited:
I've heard many stories of the Shiloh that year around the campfire. One that comes to mind is of some Confederates who when going through the Union camp stole some groceries for fun to get in the spirit of things.

Some poor folks lost a lot of cantaloupes as I recall, that is if I'm not mixing up years and stories.

Part V - Union Medical Corps and Field Aid Station
View attachment 130560

The Union medical staff at Shiloh pictured above, left-to-right: author Surgeon Major Trevor Steinbach, commanding; Medical Cadet Luke _____; Surgeons Maj. James (Jim) Langley, Maj. Doug Garnett, and Maj. Larry Mink; and Assistant Surgeon Capt. James N. Trevor performed the actual useful function of overseeing water supply to keep the Union reenactors hydrated during the battle.
View attachment 130566

Luke and I opted to accompany Trevor onto the field in the wake of the Union advance, as seen in these photos by Betsy taken from the spectator area, but we portrayed the kind of work done by assistant surgeons in assisting the wounded before they could be carried to the rear.

View attachment 130567

The red flag seen here was used at the time of the battle in place of the more-frequently seen yellow hospital flag adopted later in the North; the red one remained in the South the sign of a field hospital.
View attachment 130569

The flag wasn't really correct used this way but I thought it would draw the attention of the spectators to what it was that we were doing.

View attachment 130570
View attachment 130572

Above and below, I'm dressing the wounds of Rebel prisoners captured when their positions had been overrun while Medical Cadet Luke assists.

View attachment 130574

Below, I've moved on to our own men behind the rail fence. In reality this is farby and done for the benefit of the spectators - actual positions like this were at some distance behind the scenes of the action. Although Shiloh is noted for being where the first of many surgeons and assistant surgeons were killed during the war, the one to lose his life here was actually serving as a volunteer staff officer carrying messages on the battle's first day and was not treating wounded at the time of his death.

View attachment 130573

The photo at left below shows our position beside the small cedar tree; as the fighting began to wane along the fence, I decided to take the opportunity to move along the line offering water and taking photos myself which will be shown in the final section!

View attachment 130568

Next, Part VI - The Final Assault
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Back