141 st Pennsyvlania - The Peach Orchard

The only thing I question is why and how the 141st would move so far northward to reach their final position if Barksdale's brigade was rapidly closing in on the Emmitsburg Road. There was in fact a barn associated with the Wentz place that I think was east of the house and just north of the Wheatfield Road which Madill could be referencing instead of Sherfy's barn.
I thought the same thing... This is a map from Hessler's book. It is however before the 68th PA fell back to the NE towards the Trostle Farm. That direction of movement (possibly the 141st filling the gap as the flow of battle moved northeast), plus the mention of the "barn by the brick house" is what led me to believe it was farther north. The Wentz house being a log cabin, and would not be confused with a brick house like the Sherfy's. Thanks for weighing in.

Hesslers map.jpg

It hinges on the position of the 68th Pennsylvania, which was positioned on the south side of the Wheatfield road when confronted head-on by the 21st Mississippi, so in that case I figure the 68th was initially forced eastward about 150 yards before it moved in a more east-northeasterly direction toward the Trostle buildings.

It hinges on the position of the 68th Pennsylvania, which was positioned on the south side of the Wheatfield road when confronted head-on by the 21st Mississippi, so in that case I figure the 68th was initially forced eastward about 150 yards before it moved in a more east-northeasterly direction toward the Trostle buildings.
So many maps that are not in agreement and vague written references (even with such good landmarks on the field), it makes it tough... For instance, at the dedication of the 141st's monument, their final position was described as by a cherry tree.

But back to the 68th, after being emplaced as you state above across the Wheatfield Rd. from the Wentz House, Col. Tippin stated, "Just at sunset the rebel infantry charged upon the position with great impetuosity, and the brigade, greatly weakened by its losses and exhausted by frequent maneuverings, outflanked and vastly outnumbered, was forced to yield; but not in disorder, retiring slowly and contesting the ground inch by inch." I wish there was more detail on the "frequent maneuverings." I'm rereading some of the ORs now, looking for ancillary clues I may not have picked up before.

Col. Ed. L. Bailey of the 2nd New Hampshire provides important details as to the 68th's movements (Bachelder Papers, 2:846) after the 2nd New Hampshire had advanced through the Peach Orchard (facing southerly):

"came the 68th Pa. Regt. forming parallel to the Emmitsburg road perpendicular to my front, its left resting near my right flank."

Under a brutal artillery fire, the 21st Mississippi was approaching:

"As this advance was made the enemies [sic] batteries showered upon us a perfect hail of metal, which had the most fatal effect upon the 68th Pa. Regt., as that was from its position more exposed than was my own command, although my right suffered much. The 68th Regt. endured the fire for some minutes was obliged to retire from its exposed position ..."

This forced Bailey to make two changes of front to rear on his left company so that he was facing westward to check the advance of the 21st Mississippi, aided by the 3rd Maine on his left. Then he recalled:

"the 68th Regt. charging on my right flank to get up to the crest of the hill; but it did not succeed, though most gallantly endeavoring, and was twenty paces or more behind the parallel of my line."

So the 68th, although initially driven back, had enough fight left in it to make one more charge.

This quite specific description informed the placement of 2 NH and 68 PA on my attached draft map. As for the 141st, Madill links his regiment's movements with that of the 68th Pennsylvania, so he must be close by, although one source (Our Boys in Blue, by Clement F. Heverly) puts the regiment "north of the Peach Orchard," meaning on the north side of the Wheatfield road, which I think likely since the 141st did not come to Bailey's attention, or vice versa. Hence my positioning of these regiments on the map.

Attachments

• PeachOrchard1834.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
Col. Ed. L. Bailey of the 2nd New Hampshire provides important details as to the 68th's movements (Bachelder Papers, 2:846) after the 2nd New Hampshire had advanced through the Peach Orchard (facing southerly):

"came the 68th Pa. Regt. forming parallel to the Emmitsburg road perpendicular to my front, its left resting near my right flank."

Under a brutal artillery fire, the 21st Mississippi was approaching:

"As this advance was made the enemies [sic] batteries showered upon us a perfect hail of metal, which had the most fatal effect upon the 68th Pa. Regt., as that was from its position more exposed than was my own command, although my right suffered much. The 68th Regt. endured the fire for some minutes was obliged to retire from its exposed position ..."

This forced Bailey to make two changes of front to rear on his left company so that he was facing westward to check the advance of the 21st Mississippi, aided by the 3rd Maine on his left. Then he recalled:

"the 68th Regt. charging on my right flank to get up to the crest of the hill; but it did not succeed, though most gallantly endeavoring, and was twenty paces or more behind the parallel of my line."

So the 68th, although initially driven back, had enough fight left in it to make one more charge.

This quite specific description informed the placement of 2 NH and 68 PA on my attached draft map. As for the 141st, Madill links his regiment's movements with that of the 68th Pennsylvania, so he must be close by, although one source (Our Boys in Blue, by Clement F. Heverly) puts the regiment "north of the Peach Orchard," meaning on the north side of the Wheatfield road, which I think likely since the 141st did not come to Bailey's attention, or vice versa. Hence my positioning of these regiments on the map.
Thanks for the information! I will look it up and add it to my (growing) file. :smile:

Back