MS 13 Unknown Confederate Soldiers' Graves...

ALGen

Cadet
Passing through Tupelo, MS the other day, my husband and I stopped at the Natchez Trace Visitor Center (mile marker #266.0) and visited the grave site of the 13 unknown Confederate Soldiers'. According to the park ranger, the original grave markers -- which, he told us, possibly had their names on them -- were stolen in the early part of the 20th century and the ones that mark their graves now were errected in the 1940s (I believe that was what he said). Isn't there some way to find out who these soldiers were? Does anyone know if any research has been done to try and find out who they were? How would someone go about trying to find out who these "unknown" soldiers were? I'm somewhat familiar with researching Civil War soldiers -- genealogy research on my CW ancestors -- but my research has been limited to getting their pension applications/files and their CW record (which usually don't give a whole lot of information). I wish that I had asked him more questions about the graves.

I wonder how the grave site was found (for markers to be errected) if they weren't marked??

Nicole

Back