Trivia 12-21-18 Merry Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bonus #1 - Who was he? - Moxley Sorrel (source)

Bonus #2 -
  1. Who is the Confederate General that led the raid on Christmas? - JEB Stuart (source)
  2. What state were the Union soldiers from that brought Christmas cheer? - Michigan
  3. In what state did the Union soldiers distribute their Christmas cheer? - Georgia (source 2 and 3)
True or False has me befuddled - leaning false as two ironclads were both sold to England but want to make sure I have the right ships

Last edited by a moderator:
On the true or false question, I am going to stick with false as I can not find where any ships were sold to countries at war, as one of the clues seems to be saying "The buyers were two European countries who currently fought a war against each other as well". I am assuming "currently" was referring to the Civil War period.
Source

regular

yes
bonus

x-mas bonus
  1. john hunt morgan, jeb stuart's chistmas raid started the day after christmas
  2. michigan
  3. georgia
source (#2+3)​
smilie_girl_216.gif

Edit - I will give credit for your answer to the main question because you identified the two ships; however, I would have preferred that you had included the word "True" with your response.

hoosier

True. Denmark and Prussia (as part of the German Confederation) fought the 2nd Schleswig War in 1864. The British-built ironclad Number 61 was slow and heavy and was sold to Denmark in 1864 but not commissioned until 1869, being renamed KDM Danmark. Around the same time the Prussians had bought the French-built Cheops, a sister-ship of the Stonewall, that France didn´t allow to be delivered to the Confederacy. However it wasn´t delivered to the Prussians until late 1865, becoming the SMS Prinz Adalbert.

bonus:
Answer: G. Moxley Sorrel

sources: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/11079/gilbert-moxley-sorrel

Christmas bonus
John Morgan was the Rebel on that Christmas Day,
the Yankee lines were ruined when he led his raid.
Michigan troops played Santa with their “mule reindeer”,
while Georgia accepted gifts, through their grief and tears.

“God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen,” the carolers still sing,
the message of the season that t’was borne on angels’ wings.
One day the fighting stops - the victory will be won,
now all that’s left to say is “Merry Christmas Everyone”.

Note: All Carols in the poem would have been sung during the Civil War years.
1818 - Silent Night
1840 - Deck The Halls; Hark, the Herald Angels Sing; O Come All Ye Faithful
1850 - It Came Upon the Midnight Clear
1857 - Jingle Bells
1860 - Up on the Housetop
1719 - Joy to the World
1760 - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

Sources
1. Wikipedia - Christmas in the American Civil War
2. http://www.historynet.com/christmas-in-the-civil-war-december-1998-civil-war-times-feature.htm/2

Edit - As stated in the official answer, the ironclad Number 61 and the French-built Cheops satisfied the conditions stated in the main question, so the answer is true. If there were other vessels that satisfied some or even all of the conditions, that does not make the statement false.

I would like to remind players that, on the relatively infrequent occasions when we have true-or-false questions, a correct response should include either the word "True" or the word "False." When players respond to such questions with lengthy statements of facts that do not include the word "True" or the word "False," it makes my job more difficult, because I have to try to decide whether what you are saying means you think the answer is True or False.

Some players came up with the names of Earl Van Dorn and J. E. B. Stuart as answers to the first part of the Christmas bonus question. Van Dorn conducted his raid on December 20, while Stuart started his raid on December 26. The question referred to a raid that took place on "Christmas day," which I have to interpret as specifically meaning December 25, so Van Dorn's raid took place a little too early and Stuart's raid took place a little too late to count as correct answers.

hoosier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back