Trivia 12-18-17 Who Wrote That?

Status
Not open for further replies.
“During this engagement we were under a cross fire on the left wing from three directions. Under it the boys wavered. I had been wearied, and was sitting down, but seeing them waver, I sprang to my feet, took off my hat, waved it over my head, walked up and down the line, and, as they say, ‘preached them a sermon.’ I reminded them that it was Sunday. That at that hour (11 1/2 o'clock) all their home folks were praying for them; that Tom Watts—excuse the familiar way in which I employed so distinguished a name—had told us he would listen with an eager ear to hear from the Seventeenth; and shouting your name loud over the roar of battle, I called upon them to stand there and die, if need be, for their country. The effect was evident. Every man stood to his post, every eye flashed, and every heart beat high with desperate resolve to conquer or die. The regiment lost one-third of the number carried into the field.”

Who wrote the above, to whom, and after which Battle?

credit: @Brenal
Chaplain Isaac T. Tichenor in a letter to Confederate Attorney General, Thomas H. Watts describing his actions in rallying the 17th Alabama Infantry at the Battle of Shiloh, April 6, 1862.

Rev. I. T. Tichenor from the 17th Alabama wrote this passage to Governor Watts after the battle of Shiloh.
https://books.google.com/books?id=I...rmwKbLfETO5dOcfXYuA2OmoHX60&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0a hUKEwiezYbpvZfYAhUG1WMKHbC6DewQ6AEIJzAA#v=onepage&q=Every%20man%20stood%20to%20his%20post%2C%20every%20eye%20flashed%2C%20and%20every%20heart%20beat%20high%20with%20desperate%20resolve%20to%20conquer%20or%20die.%20The%20regiment%20lost%20one-third%20of%20the%20number%20carried%20into%20the%20field.&f=false

Answer: Isaac T Tichenor, Chaplain of the 17th Alabama.
written to Thomas Hill Watts, Governor of Alabama and one time commanding officer of the 17th. after the Battle of Shiloh
source: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:2001.05.0163:chapter=17&force=y

and, James I Robertson Jnr. Soldiers.Blue and Gray.

Edit - The official answer, as well as numerous players' answers, identifies Thomas Watts as the Governor of Alabama.

Presuming Tichenor wrote the quoted passage relatively soon after the Battle of Shiloh, which took place in April, 1862, Watts would have been serving as Attorney General of the CSA, rather than as Governor of Alabama, at that time. He didn't take office as governor until December of 1863. Of course, it is possible that he had become governor by the time the books were written which included the quoted passage, so that it would have been appropriate for the books to refer to him as the governor.

Anyway, I will accept answers that either give Watts' name or identify him as either the Attorney General of the CSA or the Governor of Alabama.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back