Trivia 12-16-2020 Treason! & Holiday Bonuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

ami

First Lady of CivilWarTalk
Super Moderator
On April 26, 1862 a Marine officer was ordered to lead a detachment ashore to raise the United States flag over the U.S. Mint in New Orleans. This flag was later cut down by a New Orleans resident and destroyed by the angry mob that had gathered. This resident would later be hanged for his actions.

Who was the Marine tasked with raising the U.S. flag over the U.S. Mint in New Orleans and who was the citizen that was convicted of treason for cutting down the flag and later executed?

credit: @NFB22

Christmas Bonus:

Both the Union Army and the Confederate Army had the rank of "major general".
In both armies major generals commanded divisions.

True or false: the Confederate army was notably smaller than the Union army, therefore it was generally intended that major generals also commanded corps.

credit: @FarawayFriend

Good Riddance 2020! Bonus:

An infantryman, I was badly wounded at Fair Oaks in June 1862. After a painful convalescence, I was transferred to an artillery unit in October 1862. I told everyone in my new unit that I was not going to go through that painful experience again. If I was seriously wounded, I told my fellow soldiers, put me out of my misery.
I was badly wounded on the afternoon of July 3, 1863. Writhing in pain in the heat of battle, I took my own life.
Who am I?
What were my last words?

credit: @WJC

And this concludes our Pandemic Trivia for 2020! Thank you all who played, and submitted questions. May 2020 not let the door hit it on the way out. See you Bright and Early January 4, 2021!!!

Edit - To give players extra time to work on the bonus questions, this thread will remain open until Monday morning, Dec. 21.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Regular question:

1) 2nd Lieutenant John C. Harris led the detachment of 30 Marines ashore to raise the US flag over the New Orleans Mint
2) William Bruce Mumford tore it down and was executed for that.

Sources:
1)
1608126950719.png

American Civil War Marines 1861–65 / by Ron Field, page 11

2) William Bruce Mumford (December 5, 1819[1] – June 7, 1862) was a North Carolinian native and resident of New Orleans, who was hanged for tearing down a United States flag during the American Civil War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=William_Bruce_Mumford&oldid=993070685

Christmas Bonus: credit for question, please

Union Captain Henry Morris and New Orleans citizen William Munford.

Christmas Bonus : False. According to Wikipedia "This rank was not synonymous with the Union's use of it, as Northern major generals led divisions, corps, and entire armies."

Good Riddance 2020 Bonus: Private Hiram Griffin

Edit - Response to Christmas bonus revised in subsequent post.

Good Riddance bonus also asked for Griffin's last words.

hoosier

In 1862 United States Marines, under Commodore David Farragut, seized control of New Orleans and raised the U.S. flag atop the mint. New Orleanian William Mumford, along with three other men, removed the flag and tore it to pieces. Mumford was eventually arrested and sentenced by U.S. Army General Benjamin Butler to be hanged in front of the mint on June 7, 1862.
Source

On April 26, 1862 a Marine officer was ordered to lead a detachment ashore to raise the United States flag over the U.S. Mint in New Orleans. This flag was later cut down by a New Orleans resident and destroyed by the angry mob that had gathered. This resident would later be hanged for his actions.

Who was the Marine tasked with raising the U.S. flag over the U.S. Mint in New Orleans and who was the citizen that was convicted of treason for cutting down the flag and later executed?

credit: @NFB22
2nd Lt. John C. Harris, USMC, raised the U. S. Flag over the Mint.
William B. Mumford tore it down.

Christmas Bonus:

Both the Union Army and the Confederate Army had the rank of "major general".
In both armies major generals commanded divisions.

True or false: the Confederate army was notably smaller than the Union army, therefore it was generally intended that major generals also commanded corps.

credit: @FarawayFriend
False.
When the rebel 'Congress' authorized Army Corps on September 18, 1862, they were expressly intended to be led by Lt. Generals. In May 1864, 'Congress' authorized "Temporary" Lt. Generals to command Army Corps when needed by emergency. Officers with these "Temporary" ranks reverted to their former rank of Major General when their temporary service ended.
The first "Temporary" Lt. General was Richard H. Anderson, appointed May 31, 1864 after Longstreet was wounded and incapacitated in the Battle of the Wilderness.
Good Riddance 2020! Bonus:

An infantryman, I was badly wounded at Fair Oaks in June 1862. After a painful convalescence, I was transferred to an artillery unit in October 1862. I told everyone in my new unit that I was not going to go through that painful experience again. If I was seriously wounded, I told my fellow soldiers, put me out of my misery.
I was badly wounded on the afternoon of July 3, 1863. Writhing in pain in the heat of battle, I took my own life.
Who am I?
What were my last words?

credit: @WJC
Merry Christmas to all! May we all enjoy good health, happiness, and prosperity in the New Year!
And this concludes our Pandemic Trivia for 2020! Thank you all who played, and submitted questions. May 2020 not let the door hit it on the way out. See you Bright and Early January 4, 2021!!!

Main: 2nd​ Lt. J. C. Harris and his thirty Marines
citizen was William Bruce Mumford (December 5, 1819[1] – June 7, 1862
source: http://www.navyandmarine.org/historicalref/Compendium_USMC.htm

Christmas Bonus: Major generals were most commonly infantry division commanders, aides to other higher ranking generals, and War Department staff officers. They also led the districts that made up military departments and had command over the troops in their districts. Some Major generals also led smaller military departments. By war's end, the Confederacy had at least 88 different men who had held this rank, all in the PACS.
False The way the question is worded, it was not their intended purpose that they command corps, but they did in some cases.

2020 bonus: to follow

Primary Questions:

1. Who was the Marine tasked with raising the U.S. Flag over the U.S. Mint in New Orleans ?
2nd Lt. J.C. Harris, Marine detachment aboard the USS Pensacola. On the morning of April 26, 1862, Harris (commanding a 30-man detachment of Marines) hauled down the Confederate flag flying over the U.S. Mint and replaced it with the U.S. Flag.

2. Who was the citizen that was convicted of treason and executed for cutting down the U.S. Flag ? William Bruce Mumford.

Sources: https://www.oocities.org/bobmarines/history.htm and https://www.oocities.org/bobmarines/history.htm

Christmas Bonus: False. The Confederate Congress legalized the creation of army corps on September 18, 1862, and directed that lieutenant generals lead them. The size of the Confederate Army was a non-factor.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_officers_in_the_Confederate_States_Army#Lieutenant_general

Good Riddance 2020 Bonus:

1. Who am I ? Private Hiram A. Griffin, Battery A, 4th U.S. Artillery.

2. What were my last words? " Goodbye, Boys

Source: https://armyhistory.org/i-will-give...ry-at-the-battle-of-gettysburg-2-3-july-1863/

And with that, may I wish each and everyone of you Happy Holidays and the best of everything. May 2021 be kinder to us all .......

Question
1. The Marine: George Leonard Davis
2. The Condemned: William B. Mumford
Source for #1
https://www.nola.com/news/politics/article_3b0f8c2a-b330-51b6-81d3-d8ad84638a18.html

Christmas Bonus
According to my source the answer is: False
A corps could contain between two and four divisions, but was most commonly made up of three. A Union Corps was commanded by a major general while a Confederate Corps was led by a lieutenant general. Since Confederate divisions were typically larger than Union divisions, it was often the case that a single Confederate division was nearly the same size as a Union corps.
https://www.nps.gov/articles/from-regiment-to-president-the-structure-and-command-of-civil-war-armies.htm

New Year’s Bonus
1. You Were: Private Hiram A. Griffin
2. Your Last Words: “Goodbye, boys”
https://armyhistory.org/i-will-give-them-one-more-shot-battery-a-4th-u-s-artillery-at-the-battle-of-gettysburg-2-3-july-1863/

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Healthy & Happy New Year as we all “Press Onward”.

Treason question:

Who was the Marine tasked with raising the U.S. flag over the U.S. Mint in New Orleans? Henry W. Morris, Captain U.S. Navy (not Marine), commanding USS Pensacola.

Who was the citizen that was convicted of treason for cutting down the flag and later executed? William Bruce Mumford.

Source for Marine officer citation didn't show properly. Taken from OR of Union and Confederate Navies, Series 1, Volume 18, page 154.
Treason question:
Who was the Marine tasked with raising the U.S. flag over the U.S. Mint in New Orleans? Henry W. Morris, Captain U.S. Navy (not Marine), commanding USS Pensacola.

Who was the citizen that was convicted of treason for cutting down the flag and later executed? William Bruce Mumford.
In Union occupied New Orleans, William B. Mumford is hanged for treason | House Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back