Trivia 12-14-2020 What Is It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the Butler Metal? I assume Butler Medal is intended. The Butler Medal was an award given to USCT troops for individual acts of bravery during the Battles of New Market Heights and Chaffin's Farm. Butler personally commissioned the medal and paid for them from his own funds.

The Butler Metal Portrait Plaque, circa 1884 is a commemorative plaque owned and located at Cornell University.

Edit - The question was intended to ask about a medal, but apparently was not well proofread.

Most people interpreted it to be asking about the Butler Medal, but it literally did ask for the "Butler Metal." You are correct in your identification of the Butler Metal Portrait Plaque at Cornell, and it bears the image of Ben Butler, so it is Civil War related. You get credit for a correct answer.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm, "Butler Metal" is an especially durable steel that would not rust or leak. However, the Butler Manufacturing Company was only founded in 1901, so I think it has nothing to do with the Civil War.

1607955329737.png

BUT I have a hunch that there is a typo in the question and we should rather look for the "Butler Medal", not Metal. Lately we had some misspellings of metal/medal, e.g. "Metal of Honor", so I think I might be on the right track here.

This is the Butler Medal:
1607954306604.png

It was a medal intended to specially recognize meritorious acts, bravery and heroism in African American soldiers. A kind of "Medal of Honor" especially for the Colored troops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Butler_Medal&oldid=990156473

The Butler Medal, also known as the Colored Troops Medal, was a military decoration of a unit of the United States Army which were issued in 1865. The medal was commissioned by Major General Benjamin Butler and was intended to recognize meritorious or heroic acts of bravery performed by African American soldiers at the Battle of Chaffin's Farm and New Market Heights.
Source

The Butler Medal, also known as the Colored Troops Medal, was a military decoration of a unit of the US Army which were issued in 1865.[1] The medal was commissioned by MG Ben Butler and was intended to recognize meritorious or heroic acts of bravery performed by African American soldiers at the Battle of Chaffins Farm and New Market Heights

1607960158998.png

The Butler Medal (originally called the Colored Troops Medal) was commissioned by MG Benjamin Butler. It was intended to recognize meritorious or heroic acts of bravery performed by African American soldiers at the Battle of Chaffin's Farm and New Market Heights. Although 14 African Americans had earned the CMoH for that engagement, Butler wished to further recognize his African American troops involved in the battle. He paid for the Medals out of his own pocket. In May 1865, and later that year, the Butler Medal was presented to nearly two hundred African American Union soldiers.

The Butler Medal, also known as the Colored Troops Medal, was a military award given to a of a unit of the Union Army which were issued in 1865.The medal was commissioned by Major General Ben Butler and was intended to recognize meritorious or heroic acts of bravery performed by African American soldiers at the Battle of Chaffin's Farm and New Market Heights.

The Butler Medal, also known as the Colored Troops Medal, was a military decoration of a unit of the United States Army which were issued in 1865.[1] The medal was commissioned by Major General Benjamin Butler and was intended to recognize meritorious or heroic acts of bravery performed by African American soldiers at the Battle of Chaffin's Farm and New Market Heights.[1] Fourteen African Americans had earned the Medal of Honor in that engagement, but Butler wished to further recognize his African American troops involved in the battle, and he paid for the Butler Medals out of his personal funds
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butler_Medal

I'm not sure if this isn't maybe a typo or misspelled word. If you mean MEDAL it's a the silver medallion with the words "Ferro lis Libertas Perveniet" on a red, white and blue ribbon given to Colored Troops by General Ben Butler and officially known as the Army of the James medal. If you really do mean METAL than it's probably the cast-iron used to make Butler Projectiles for artillery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back