Trivia 12-11-18 Who Am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was born in Rhode Island. I started working as a clerk but became a partner in a wholesale grocery business before enlisting in the Rhode Island National Guard when the war started. After the war, I entered politics, where I rose quickly, eventually making quite a splash on the national scene. I was a reformer, but opposed some of President Roosevelt's more radical 'reforms'. My wife and I had a large family, one of whom married into a very well known family.
Who am I?
Who was my famous grandson and namesake?

credit: @WJC

Edit - Answer shown in post # 33.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is very difficult!

Nelson Wilmarth Aldrich (1841-1915) was the powerful senior Republican Senator (1881-1911) from Rhode Island during Theodore Roosevelt’s presidency. The two men tangled when Aldrich blocked Roosevelt’s progressive legislative initiatives.

Aldrich was born in the small town of Foster, Rhode Island, to Abby Burgess and Anan Aldrich. After attending local schools, he rose from clerk to partner in a wholesale grocery business before enlisting in the Rhode Island National Guard. After the Civil War, Aldrich married Abigail Pearce Chapman Greene and began his career in politics. He won election to the Rhode Island State Legislature in 1875 and 1876. In March 1879 he was elected to the United States House of Representatives. He resigned in 1881 to fill a vacancy in the United States Senate on October 4, 1881. He remained in the upper house until 1911. As a conservative Republican, he opposed most Progressive reforms. While he helped ensure the passage of the Pure Food and Drug Act in 1906, he stalled the federal income tax bill because he considered it too left-leaning.

Famous Grandson: Nelson Aldrich Rockefeller, became governor of New York. He was also an unsuccessful presidential candidate before serving as Gerald Ford’s vice president.

source: https://www.theodorerooseveltcenter...litics and Government/Aldrich Nelson Wilmarth

My guess for this question is Charles R. Brayton and my guess for the second question is Justin Brayton. David.

Edit - Brayton was a Rhode Island politician and he did serve in the Civil War, but he doesn't fit the other clues.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back