Discussion 115th US Colored Infantry: Muster Out Date contradiction?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

whittles

Cadet
Hi all. Am hoping someone can clear up a contradiction I have found. Most accounts list the service of the 115th U.S. Colored Infantry as follows: "Garrison duty at Lexington, Ky., till December, 1864. Ordered to Virginia. Siege operations against Petersburg and Richmond January to April, 1865. Occupation of Richmond April 3. Duty in the Dept. of Virginia till May. Sailed for Texas May 20. Duty in District of the Rio Grande till February, 1866. Mustered out February 10, 1866." Other accounts I have looked up say the 115th USC Inf., as part of the 25th Corps, was transported from City Point, VA on May 20 or May 25 for the 12-day trip to Texas, and after mustering out, the troops sailed from New Orleans up to Louisville, KY. HOWEVER, the Freedmen's Bank of Louisville, KY registered on Feb. 1, 1866 one of the men I am tracing (Co. G of 115th USCInf). I cannot account for the date discrepancy. I know that sometimes "muster out" and "discharge" are interchanged, and probably shouldn't be, and the men were discharged in Louisville, but I cannot find any documents regarding the discharge dates. Any advice? Thanks.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!