Trivia 11-4-2020 You can call me Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

ami

First Lady of CivilWarTalk
Super Moderator
This Confederate officer was likely saved from capture in a dark, rain drenched battle, by instructing his staff and troopers to call him "Bill" rather than "General".

credit: @hughes

This Confederate officer was likely saved from capture in a dark, rain drenched battle, by instructing his staff and troopers to call him "Bill" rather than "General".

credit: @hughes
Brigadier General William E. "Grumble" Jones (1824-1864), at the Fight at Monterey Pass,Franklin County, Pennsylvania, July 4-5, 1863.
Source: Eric J. Wittenberg, J. D. Petruzzi, and Michael F. Nugent, One Continuous Fight: The Retreat From Gettysburg and the Pursuit of Lee's Army of Northern Virginia, July 4-14, 1863. (El Dorado Hills, CA: Savas Beatei LLC, 2008), p. 67.

William Edmondson "Grumble" Jones

Snip-it_1604530596021.jpg

Source:
Retreat from Gettysburg: Lee, Logistics, and the Pennsylvania Campaign / by Kent Masterson Brown, Esq., page 137

William E. 'Grumble' Jones at Monterey Pass.

The only thing I could determine from the clues given is this individual is a cavalry officer ("staff and troopers"). Past that, nada. Couldn't come up with anything searching various sources; even tried to match anybody with a first name of "William". Soooo....I'll just have to venture a guess: J.E.B. Stuart, if for no other reason than this sounds like something he would try in a pinch situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back