Trivia 11-20-15 Who am I & Friday Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
I could hear the workmen busily building the gallows I knew were meant for me. Born in 1823 a native of Switzerland, I moved to United States in 1849 and was sworn to save lives. Now a military tribunal has elected to take mine on this cold November day in 1865. My last words were "I know what orders are, Major. I am being hanged for obeying mine." Who am I?

credit: @War Horse

Friday Bonus:

David Llewelyn Wark "D.W." Griffith born 22 January 1875 - 23 July 1948, was an American film director mostly remembered as the director of the 1915 film The Birth of a Nation. What is his relationship to the Civil War?

credit: @Seduzal

Happy Thanksgiving to those of us celebrating next week! Trivia will resume Nov 3oth! Enjoy the break!

I could hear the workmen busily building the gallows I knew were meant for me. Born in 1823 a native of Switzerland, I moved to United States in 1849 and was sworn to save lives. Now a military tribunal has elected to take mine on this cold November day in 1865. My last words were "I know what orders are, Major. I am being hanged for obeying mine." Who am I?

Friday Bonus:

David Llewelyn Wark "D.W." Griffith born 22 January 1875 - 23 July 1948, was an American film director mostly remembered as the director of the 1915 film The Birth of a Nation. What is his relationship to the Civil War?

Happy Thanksgiving to those of us celebrating next week! Trivia will resume Nov 3oth! Enjoy the break!
Captain Henry Wirz.

Bonus: His father, Jacob - Was a Colonel for the Confederacy during the ACW.

Friday Bonus:

Wirz

Griffith's father was a Confederate veteran(Colonel)

The first answer is Henry Wirtz. He was the Confederate captain in charge of Camp Sumter near Andersonville, GA. He was hanged on November 10th 1865 in Washington D.C. at the age of 41. He was a refugee Switzerland and obviously a terrorist.

Bonus
D. W. Griffith's father, Jacob Wark Griffith (aka Roaring Jake) 10/13/1819-3/31/1885, was a Confederate army colonel during the War of the Rebellion. He was Lt. Colonel of the 1st Kentucky Cavalry, with whom he had served in the war against Mexico, and was elected to two terms in the Kentucky House of Representatives, 1854-55, and 1878-79. He is buried at Mt. Tabor Methodist Church graveyard, Crestwood, Oldham County, Kentucky. He was a Virginian by virtue of his birth in Jefferson County -later to be a part of West Virginia.

The central inscription on his grave reads:

"Colonel Jacob Wark Griffith, twice brevetted Brigadier General at close of the Civil War.
Twice elected to the House of Representatives. Served with Humphrey Marshall's First Kentucky Cavalry in the Mexican War.Commanded the first Wagon Train at this period to cross the plains - The Lone Jack Unit. Before arrival in California suffered many attacks. Rescued a party of pioneers at Donner Lake.
Civil War. Organized a Company of Cavalry for the Confederate Colonel of the First Regiment. Five times wounded - twice desperately, once at Hewey's Bridge, Alabama, May 9, 1862, once after the capture of a 1500 Mule Train in the Sequatchie Valley October 2, 1862. After a large number of Confederates had been repulsed, General Wheeler asked Colonel Griffith to attack. Ten minutes later, the train had been captured. Suffering from previous wounds at the battle of Charleston, Tennessee, December 28, 1863, was unable to ride or walk. At a critical point in the battle the First Kentucky was ordered to charge. Colonel Griffith not being able to lead his command on horseback, commandeered a horse and buggy. Was helped in and led his Regiment to a victorious charge. Calvary probably never before having been led that way in all history."

Henry Wirz, commander of Andersonville Prison.
http://www.biography.com/people/henry-wirz-560234
http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/Wirz/executin.htm

Bonus: "Griffith was born in Crestwood, Kentucky to Mary Perkins and Jacob "Roaring Jake" Griffith, who were of Anglo-Welsh ancestry. Jacob Griffith was a Confederate Army colonel in the American Civil War and was elected as a Kentucky state legislator." [emphasisi mine]
Source: Wikipedia article, "D W. Griffith"

Ami, I hope you enjoy your break! Thank you for all you do!

Friday question (and almost a script for the movies inside your head):
Confederate Captain Heinrich Hartmann aka Henry Wirz, commander of Andersonville prison.

Bonus:
The father of D. W. Griffith, Jacob "Roaring Jake" Griffith, was a former Confederate Colonel, who had once commanded the 1st Kentucky Cavalry :
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kyoldham/cem/mt_tab/griffith.htm

https://kentuckyexplorer.com/nonmembers/01-03028.html

https://books.google.de/books?id=rc...epage&q=roaring jake griffith cavalry&f=false

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back