Trivia 11-2-15 Who am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
I tried unsuccessfully to enlist in the Union army at the age of 12. I served as a regimental drummer boy and was finally allowed to enlist. I became the youngest non-commissioned officer in the history of the U.S. Army and ultimately retired as a major general and the last Civil War veteran on active duty.

credit: @DickWilliams

Reactions: Sbc
John Lincoln Clem

220px-Little_John_Clem.jpg

I tried unsuccessfully to enlist in the Union army at the age of 12. I served as a regimental drummer boy and was finally allowed to enlist. I became the youngest non-commissioned officer in the history of the U.S. Army and ultimately retired as a major general and the last Civil War veteran on active duty.

John Clem

http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/biographies/john-clem.html

John (Lincoln) Clem
When President Abraham Lincoln in May 1861 issued the call for volunteers to serve in the Union army for a three year term, one of those who tried to answer was Ohio resident John Clem. Not yet 10 years old, Clem’s service was refused by the newly formed 3rd Ohio. Undeterred, Clem later tried to join the 22nd Michigan, where his persistence won over the unit’s officers. They agreed to let him follow the regiment, adopting him as a mascot and unofficial drummer boy. The officers also chipped in to pay his monthly salary of $13 before he finally was allowed to officially enlist in 1863.

A popular legend suggests that John Lincoln Clem served as a drummer boy with the 22nd Michigan at the Shiloh. The legend suggests that he came very near to losing his life when a fragment from a shrapnel shell crashed through his drum, knocking him unconscious, and that subsequently his comrades who found and rescued him from the battlefield nicknamed Clem "Johnny Shiloh." The 22nd Michigan appears to be the first unit in which Clem served in any capacity, but this regiment had not yet been constituted at the time of the battle (mustering into service in August 1862 – four months after the Battle of Shiloh)
220px-Little_John_Clem.jpg

John Clem

Edit - Correct, Btc49VA. Welcome to the trivia game and to CivilWarTalk.

If you have not done so already, you're invited to stop by the New Recruits Meet & Greet forum and introduce yourself to some more CivilWarTalkers.

Hope you'll come back and play the trivia game again.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:

John Lincoln Clem (born; John Joseph Klem)..or "Johnny Shiloh", as I knew him as a kid, from the movie of said name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back