Trivia 11-18-19 And Song and a Dance

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. What did I do in the War ? I was a cartographer and topographer. My detailed and accurate maps of the Shenandoah Valley are credited by many as a principal factor in General Stonewall Jackson's victories in the Valley Campaign of 1862. After Jackson's death, I worked on the staffs of Richard Ewell and Jubal Early, but primarily I worked for Robert E. Lee. After the surrender at Appomattox, General Grant ordered my release and returned my maps to me. Grant paid me for permission to use some of my maps in his reports and almost all of the Confederate maps in the Official Records produced by the U.S. War Department were those drawn by me.

2. Who am I ? Jedediah Hotchkiss (most frequently known as Jed).

He is the map-maker - Jedediah Hotchkiss - Lt. General Ulysses Grant paid royalties for permission to use your maps, and almost all of the your maps were used in the “Official Records of the Rebellion” by the U.S. War Department.

Sources
1. https://www.loc.gov/collections/hot...the-hotchkiss-collection-of-confederate-maps/
2. Wikipedia - Jedediah Hotchkiss

Edit - Cartographer and topographer are also acceptable answers for part 1 of the question.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back