Trivia 11-11-16 Surrender & Bonuses

Veteran's Day Bonus:

Which well known Gettysburg citizen refuted John Burn's story about volunteering to fight with the Union Army?

Mrs. M______ shared this in several newspapers: (i.e. Louisville Courier-Journal 10/9/1898

upload_2016-11-14_21-23-23.png

ALSO from "A California Tramp and Later Footprints" Thadedeus Stevens Kenderdine stated that
most of the citizens of Gettysburg thought Burns "was no more in the fight than they were" and "what scratches he had were self-inflicted." Also, some of his townspeople "admit that he fought...(but) claim he was so drunk he did not know a Union soldier from a rebel" page 340

Found several newspaper articles denouncing ol' John but his accusers were called "inn keeper" or guide or citizen.

While Reverend E J Wolf delivered the speech for Burns' monument, he stated that he was no myth but he disagreed with John's account of being the only citizen from Gettysburg in the fight.

....that's all I got.

CSS Shenandoah, formerly Sea King, was an iron-framed, teak-planked, full-rigged ship, with auxiliary steam power, captained by Confederate States Navy Lieutenant Commander James Waddell, a North Carolinian with twenty years of prior service in the United States Navy.[3]

The Shenandoah was launched as Sea King on August 17, 1863, and would become one of the most feared commerce raiders in the Confederate Navy. She surrendered on the River Mersey, Liverpool, England, on November 6, 1865. Her flag was the last sovereign Confederate flag to be officially furled.

Bonus: David Wills?

Bonus: 1. Phillip Bliss
2. Hold the Fort, for We are Coming
3. 1870
4. Battle of Allatoona
5. Maj. Daniel Whittle

Last edited by a moderator:
November 6th, Liverpool, England marked the last surrender of the American Civil War and the last official lowering of the Confederate flag. The very last act of the Civil War was Captain Waddell walking up the steps of Liverpool Town Hall with a letter to present to the mayor surrendering his vessel to the British government.

veterans day bonus : Albertus McCreary, " Gettysburg, A Boy's Experience Of The Battle ", McClure's Magazine, July 1909
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015014772829;view=1up;seq=255

McCreary stated Burns was out looking for his old cow when the Union army caught up with him and he was swept along with it.

weekend bonus

Philip Bliss

Hold The Fort For I Am Coming
Battle Altoona Pass, October 1864
Ira D. Sankey - Kennesaw Mountain

There is a report that Sherman remembered the words as being:
“Sherman is moving in force; Hold Out!”
“General Sherman says Hold Fast. We are Coming”

Sherman would say later he didn’t say “Hold the Fort for I am Coming” although that is what he meant.
Source: Reader’s Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy (pages 138-139)

Edit - After observing that nobody got the official correct answer of Albertus McCreary to the Veterans' Day question, I have come to the conclusion that that question should be thrown out. The way the question was worded would lead people to think that it was asking for the name of somebody who was a well-known citizen of Gettysburg at the time of the battle. Maybe McCreary became more prominent later in life, but he was only a kid at the time of the battle, so I think the question was misleading in that regard.

I will consider "Hold the Fort" to be an acceptable short version of the title "Hold the Fort For I Am Coming."

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Back