Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
With a last name of heavenly might,
Lincoln ordered and said “you must fight”
“With headquarters in my saddle”,
“In his rear” his men prattled.
“Not my man”, Lincoln said, in hindsight.

Who Am I & what state was I exiled to after the president spoke in “hindsight”?

credit: @DBF

bonus: Name the Union spy that worked in the Confederate White House.
credit: @JohnW.

With a last name of heavenly might,
Lincoln ordered and said “you must fight”
“With headquarters in my saddle”,
“In his rear” his men prattled.
“Not my man”, Lincoln said, in hindsight.

Who Am I & what state was I exiled to after the president spoke in “hindsight”?

credit: @DBF

bonus: Name the Union spy that worked in the Confederate White House.
credit: @JohnW.
first question: John Pope was banished to Minnesota after 2nd Manassas

Bonus: Mary Bowser

John Pope, whose abilities are often underrated (though his PR savvy is justifiably lowly-rated);

and I believe the bonus answer is Mary Bowser (part of Elizabeth Van Lew's network, and, interestingly, originally a Van Lew slave).

Edit - The first question also asked for the name of the state to which Pope was sent.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonus

Mary Bowser was a servant to the Jeff Davis family and spy for the Union cause. Mary is one of the great mysteries of the Civil War as little is known on what information she was able to pass on and after 1867, she simply disappears. Much of the research done on Mary has disproven a lot of the information taken for granted about her. There is no known photo in existence of Mary, and the one commonly shown, is of another Mary Bowser. A mystery that needs an answer.
Source

This is the first time Mary Bowser was ever mentioned in the press - Harpers Monthly Magazine June 1911 - (here)

General John Pope, Minnesota
Pope himself was relieved of command on September 12, 1862, and his army was merged into the Army of the Potomac under McClellan. He spent the remainder of the war in the Department of the Northwest in Minnesota, dealing with the Dakota War of 1862

bonus: Mary Bowser (originally Mary Jane Richards, fl. 1846-1867) was a Union spy during the Civil War.[

Mary Bowser
From Wikipedia,

Mary Bowser (originally Mary Jane Richards, fl. 1846-1867) was a Union spy during the Civil War.[1] She was an American former slave and worked in connection with Elizabeth Van Lew.[2]

From a position as a servant to Jefferson Davis's family in the Confederate White House, Mary Bowser served an important role in the spy ring organized by Elizabeth Van Lew.[1] It is possible that Union military leaders such as Alfred Terry, Edward Ord, and Colonel S H Roberts benefited from Bowser's work.[4] Although exactly what intelligence Bowser collected is as yet unknown, the value of Van Lew's ring was noted by Generals Benjamin Butler, Ulysses S. Grant, and George H. Sharpe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back