10th cousins 6 times removed

I can't count that high but it does mean you are blood related. I was told by my Grandmother when I was 16 that I could NOT date a pretty little redhead that sang in the Church choir because she was a 3rd cousin twice removed. :nah disagree:

I can't count that high but it does mean you are blood related. I was told by my Grandmother when I was 16 that I could NOT date a pretty little redhead that sang in the Church choir because she was a 3rd cousin twice removed. :nah disagree:
I dated a girl in High School for a while and introduced her to my mom who asked her mother's name. Turns out we were 2nd or 3rd cousins, can't remember exactly, and didn't know it. Sure is a small world sometimes.

I dated a girl in High School for a while and introduced her to my mom who asked her mother's name. Turns out we were 2nd or 3rd cousins, can't remember exactly, and didn't know it. Sure is a small world sometimes.
Not really as back in those days in a VERY small community its was not uncommon for most folks to be related some how, either by blood or marriage:D Now I'm hearing banjo music.:eek:

Not really as back in those days in a VERY small community its was not uncommon for most folks to be related some how, either by blood or marriage:D Now I'm hearing banjo music.:eek:
I'm hearing banjo music for real, watching a Hee Haw episode and they're pickin' and grinnin' 🎸:biggrin:

Can someone give me an idea of what this means? I mean really does this count as being related? What say you CWT.
Thanks for helping me understand this.

Basically, if you are a 10th cousin, 6 times removed with someone, it means that you are related and share a 9th great-grandparent with that person, 11 generations back. So it would be a very distant relation.

Follow the link below for more clarification:

Last edited:
Distant kin is still kin! I'm a fifth cousin several times removed to Col. Charles Venable, a member of General Lee's staff and I'm a sixth
cousin several times removed to George S. Custer, the famous Union cavalry commander. I consider myself related to them since I share DNA with their direct ancestors generations back. By the way, George S. Custer had an ancestor named George Custer who like the one of Civil War fame was killed by Indians on the Virginia frontier in 1755.

I had to go all the way to South Dakota to get a husband! Every Indian I met here was related to me, whatever tribe they were. The relations are all kept in everybody's head - it's like the Bible...Joe begat John, John begat Fred, Fred.... Everybody knows who's your daddy no matter what the birth certificate says or what the name is. Jane Smith is Don Black's sister - she was born before the folks got married, him after. Then these ten kids all have the same last name and Ed is the dad on the birth certificate but the first four are Joe's, the next two are Bill's, the next three are... Oh, they're another tribe - nope, that's what it says at the enrollment office but they're really ours... Yes, indeed...Genealogy websites are no help to us!

Distant kin is still kin! I'm a fifth cousin several times removed to Col. Charles Venable, a member of General Lee's staff and I'm a sixth
cousin several times removed to George S. Custer, the famous Union cavalry commander. I consider myself related to them since I share DNA with their direct ancestors generations back. By the way, George S. Custer had an ancestor named George Custer who like the one of Civil War fame was killed by Indians on the Virginia frontier in 1755.

Ah! Cousin! Hubby is related to Custer and also to Crazy Horse. :laugh:

I had to go all the way to South Dakota to get a husband! Every Indian I met here was related to me, whatever tribe they were. The relations are all kept in everybody's head - it's like the Bible...Joe begat John, John begat Fred, Fred.... Everybody knows who's your daddy no matter what the birth certificate says or what the name is. Jane Smith is Don Black's sister - she was born before the folks got married, him after. Then these ten kids all have the same last name and Ed is the dad on the birth certificate but the first four are Joe's, the next two are Bill's, the next three are... Oh, they're another tribe - nope, that's what it says at the enrollment office but they're really ours... Yes, indeed...Genealogy websites are no help to us!

It's a small world isn't it! I'm related to your husband and General Custer on the maternal side of my family. Tell your husband we need to start planning that family reunion soon:smile:

I've encountered a rather alarming number of cousin marriages in my paternal family tree for this reason. (And one step-sibling marriage, which makes me related to one of my ancestors through 2 of her 3 husbands. Though I think good old-fashioned greed was the cause of that union rather than slim pickings. . . .)

Fortunately none of us have anything resembling a Hapsburg jaw/chin. :D

I've encountered a rather alarming number of cousin marriages in my paternal family tree for this reason. (And one step-sibling marriage, which makes me related to one of my ancestors through 2 of her 3 husbands. Though I think good old-fashioned greed was the cause of that union rather than slim pickings. . . .)

Fortunately none of us have anything resembling a Hapsburg jaw/chin. :D

I ' think ' it wasn't considered at all shocking or wrong? Looked this stuff up once after finding grgrgrandparents with the same last name. Remember Lavina Warren, one of Barnum's er, employees for want of a better word ( not a Barnum fan ). She was from an old, New England family. Because so many marriages occurred between relatives a form of dwarfism popped up. That one was because the ' old ' families were terribly family-proud over being Mayflower families.

Now I want to know more about the family chin? Sorry, made me laugh out loud.

Slim pickin's is why you have raids! Dang...related to every woman one hundred miles around. Welp, time to steal some from 150 miles away! No Hapsburg chin then... :x3:

I ' think ' it wasn't considered at all shocking or wrong? Looked this stuff up once after finding grgrgrandparents with the same last name. Remember Lavina Warren, one of Barnum's er, employees for want of a better word ( not a Barnum fan ). She was from an old, New England family. Because so many marriages occurred between relatives a form of dwarfism popped up. That one was because the ' old ' families were terribly family-proud over being Mayflower families.

Now I want to know more about the family chin? Sorry, made me laugh out loud.
I'd like to think it's a good chin. :D

And I think that's probably true about it not being as shocking then. Also, one of the cousin marriages I've found (2nd cousins) I also don't think was generally known at the time. Nobody knew Mamie's maiden name. When I finally found it, I realized the family tree didn't fork as much as it should. . . .

Ancestry family trees are super judgmental when you try to add that by the way. Lol

Last edited:
Back